This Mediterranean Chicken Bake is loaded with Greek flavors and it’s absolutely delicious! This meal is easy to make and results in super tender, juicy chicken infused with seasoning.
First Published: April 11, 2013… Last Updated: July 17, 2020
👩🏻🍳 Recipe Back Story
You’re going to love this dish! I have served it to family and guests and received so many compliments. This Mediterranean Chicken Bake is easy to prepare and doesn’t require a list of a gazillion ingredients! Happy happy!
The chicken is fork tender and juicy. And while it is baking, I can be busy doing other things – love that!
It seems like when the entree requires active prep right up until serving it, I always have a little bit of trouble coordinating it all. How about you?
At the end of a busy and tiring day, I often just don’t have the brainpower left to do that much coordinating. Dishes that can be popped in the oven make it easy on my brain and my remaining energy levels!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
- lemon juice – adds great tangy freshness.
- olive oil – good olive oil adds great Mediterranean flavor.
- dried oregano, salt and pepper – simple ingredients to flavor the chicken.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts – though you can substitute with the thighs, however if you’re using bone-in with skin, I’d recommend removing the skin.
- feta cheese crumbles – adds delicious salty, cheesy flavor!
- green onions – for light onion flavor
- tomatoes, red onions, and black olives – though this step is optional it adds great mediterranean-style salsa flavor.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken breasts, massaging the chicken to get everything coated. Refrigerate for one to two hours.
- Make the Mediterranean salsa (optional).
- Preheat the oven, then place chicken in a baking dish, top with cheese and green onions, and place in the oven. Cook for about 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked.
- If desired, serve the chicken topped with the tomato, onion, and olive mixture.
Chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Use an instant read meat thermometer to be sure!
Depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts, this meal only takes about 30 – 40 minutes to cook!
The simple answer is don’t over bake! 😀 Seriously though, investing in a good instant read thermometer will help you bake cook chicken confidently and never dry it out. Here’s another good tip though: Tenting it under foil for 5-10 minutes after cooking will allow the juices to redistribute into the chicken which also helps.
The salsa for the Mediterranean Chicken Bake is totally optional, but I highly recommend making it! It adds a great fresh flavor to this delicious meal!
Store any leftover chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I recommend storing any leftover Mediterranean salsa in a separate container.
The easiest way is to zap it in the microwave for a minute or two, until hot. You can also bake it in a covered dish at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Leftovers can be frozen in a good quality airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating to serve.
💭 Top Tips
I typically make this on a day where I am working from home, so that I can get the chicken in the marinade 1 to 2 hours before I want to get it in the oven.
You can marinate the chicken in the morning before going to work. However, citrus marinades can cause the meat to break down if left soaking for long periods, so if your chicken turns out overly mushy, that may be why.
That being said, I know people who swear by marinating overnight, so if you really need to start the process the morning of, or even the night before, I suggest you give it a try and see if the texture of the chicken is still OK for you!
My favorite tip
- Make clean-up even easier by lining your pan with foil. 🙂
- Bonus tip: Use canned diced tomatoes (drained) if you don’t have time to chop!
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
If you’re looking for side dishes for this meal here are some of my favorite choices to go along with!
- Parmesan Garlic Bread – it’s not over-the-top, but buttery, cheesy and delicious and perfect to sop up the juices!
- A simple green salad – it would balance the flavors of this rich dish!
- Lemonade Pie – a no-bake dessert that’s a great way to finish off this meal!
Giving the chicken a quick sear before baking will ensure it’s golden brown when you pull it out of the oven.
Substitute other cuts of chicken, if needed to save yourself a trip to the store! Boneless skinless chicken thighs work really well.
Want to mix it up? Prepare individual foil packets, customized for each individual diner. Packets can be cooked on the grill over medium-high heat for 35-30 minutes. Great for grilling or camping!
What is not to love about this recipe?!! It’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or fancy enough for company AND the kids love it, too.
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram! You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry !
📋 Recipe Card
Mediterranean Chicken BakePrint Recipe
For the chicken:
For the optional Mediterranean salsa:
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley (for color)
One to two hours prior to cooking:
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pour the marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken breasts, close the bag squeezing most of the air out, and squish the chicken around a little to get it all coated. Place the bag in the refrigerator for one to two hours.
One hour prior to serving:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken in a baking dish, top with the feta and green onions and place in the oven.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the tomato, onion, olives, and parsley to make the mediterranean-style salsa. (optional step)
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is done.
- Serve the chicken topped with the optional tomato, onion, and olive mixture.
- Try to choose chicken cuts that are about the same size and thickness for the most even cooking.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees (check with an instant read meat thermometer).
- After baking, let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes under tented foil for the juices to redistribute and give you the best texture.
- Over-marinating can cause the chicken to break down too much, so if your chicken turns out mushy, try marinating for a shorter time period the next time.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for other great kitchen products I love!