Did you know it’s super easy to make Homemade Italian Seasoning right in your kitchen? Vibrant and flavorful, this versatile blend of flavors is an excellent way to improve all of your favorite dishes.
You can easily adjust the spices and herbs to your preferences and get the absolute most out of any Italian dish. Best of all, you most likely have the ingredients in your spice cabinet already!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Ever wondered what's in Italian seasoning? Wonder no more! This post will teach you how to quickly and easily make your own Italian seasoning substitute. No need to splurge on a store bought spice blend!
Using herbs and spices you already have in your spice cabinet, you can easily put together this versatile seasoning blend. Use it to add lots of extra flavor to your favorite Italian dishes!
Similar to Homemade Pizza Seasoning, this Italian blend is a versatile combination that can be used for a wide variety of recipes.
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- dried basil - sweet, pungent, and just a tiny bit spicy, basil acts as the perfect first ingredient for this blend.
- dried oregano - adds a nice peppery bite and pairs well with the basil.
- dried parsley - for an additional layer of herbal flavor.
- dried thyme - provides an earthy and slightly minty flavor.
- marjoram - for flavors of subtle pine and citrus.
- dried rosemary - contributes notes of evergreen, lavender, and sage.
- Add basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary to a bowl.
- Stir until well combined. Use immediately or transfer to a container to store.
Most Italian seasoning blends combine oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram. Variations and other herb additions are also common. You'll often find additional ingredients like parsley, sage, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and others in Italian blends.
For a delicious Italian seasoning substitute, combine any of the following ingredients: basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Use fresh and high quality ingredients for the best results.
- Using dried herbs instead of fresh herbs is more cost-effective, and they will keep better than their fresh counterparts.
- In terms of quantity, use this Italian seasoning substitute the same way you would a store bought version
📌 You'll love this versatile and delicious Homemade Italian Seasoning! Sprinkle it over roasted veggies, use it to flavor chicken or pasta, or even as a topping for French fries.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Alter the quantities of ingredients until you find a combination with the perfect balance of flavors for your taste.
- For a spicier version, add about a half teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Additional flavor can be achieved with ingredients like sage, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- The marjoram can be omitted if you're unable to find it.
Keep your Homemade Italian Seasoning in an airtight container. A glass jar or an empty spice jar are excellent options! Your seasoning blend will last about 6 months when stored at room temperature or in an otherwise cool and dry place. This will also prevent clumping.
🍴 How to Use This Seasoning Blend
Looking for some suggestions for how to use your Homemade Italian Seasoning? Sprinkle it over top of these Air Fryer Potato Wedges, use it to add flavor to Air Fryer Chicken Leg Quarters, as a way to doctor up this Easy Air Fryer Broccoli, or to add a little extra kick to pizza sauce for Crock Pot Pizza.
✔️ More Seasoning Blend Recipes You'll Love
- Homemade Chili Seasoning - Take any chili recipe to the next level with this yummy combination of flavors!
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning - You'll love the bold and tangy blend of savory flavors with notes of citrus.
- Spaghetti Seasoning - Use this homemade seasoning blend to upgrade a simple pasta sauce.
- Homemade BBQ Seasoning - This blend from Take Two Tapas is the perfect way to up your summer BBQ game!
Italian Seasoning Substitute
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix to combine.2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 tablespoon marjoram, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Place in an airtight container such as a spice jar and store in a dry area.
- Customize as desired to your preferences by adjusting the amounts of the different ingredients to taste.
- Add ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes for a spicy version.
- Other variations: Add a teaspoon of garlic powder, add a teaspoon of onion powder, and/or add ½ tablespoon of sage.
- If you can't find marjoram, it can be omitted.
- High quality and fresh ingredients will yield the best tasting result.
- This seasoning will stay fresh for about 6 months. It often lasts more than 6 months in the right conditions, but check the freshness before proceeding just to be sure.
- Store in a dry area to prevent the seasoning mix from clumping together.
- Use this seasoning in the same way as you would a store-bought version.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
Homemade seasonings are my favorite! I just made a jar of this to keep in the spice cabinet and it was SO easy!
I love making my own seasoning! Definitely putting this one on the list. So much better than store-bought.
This was such a quick and easy recipe that did not disappoint! Added so much flavor to dinner; definitely, my new favorite seasoning!
Homemade beats store bought every time! Even better, you can customize it exactly to your own tastes. Love this!
Love this mix of Italian herbs. I made a double batch so I always have some on hand!