Did you know it’s beyond easy to make your own Homemade Chili Seasoning mix at home? Create this bomb chili recipe that’s loaded with bold flavors.
A combination of simple spices is all you’ll need to make this chili seasoning mix. Best of all, you probably have most of them ready in your pantry or spice cabinet already!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Need a quick and easy spice blend to perk up any chili or add flavor to a wide variety of your favorite dishes? Keep reading to find out the best spices for chili!
Odds are you've already got most of these common flavors in your spice rack. This chili seasoning mix is a great option for making in large batches and keeping around for quick and bold flavor in a snap.
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- chili powder - provides that distinct and warm chili flavor that makes this seasoning blend so delicious.
- cumin - adds depth of flavor and pairs well with the chili powder.
- onion powder - rounds out the flavor profile and creates yet another layer of savory flavor.
- cayenne pepper - adds extra heat and warmth.
- salt and pepper - create a base layer of flavor to support the other seasonings.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Store in a mason jar, spice jar, or other glass container.
Many chili seasonings are made from a base of chili powder, cumin, garlic, and oregano. The chili powder and cumin are two of the crucial components, and the rest of the recipe can be tweaked to your own tastes. This chili seasoning mix opts for onion powder over garlic and incorporates cayenne pepper for some additional spice.
If you don't have chili powder on hand, which is arguably the most important ingredient for this seasoning mix, you can create a convincing substitute using paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Chili powder is a base ingredient in chili seasonings. The powder is composed of dried and pulverized chili peppers. A typical chili seasoning mix contains chili powder as a base ingredients and additional spices for depth of flavor and additional heat.
To make your favorite chili recipe even better, use about 2 tablespoons of this homemade chili seasoning blend. Feel free to add more if you want more flavor.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to deal with any clumps while you combine your seasonings.
- This chili seasoning recipe is perfect for seasoning your next pot of chili, as well as to use on top of chicken, beef, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and more. Experiment to find out how you like to use your chili seasoning!
📌 Also great as a taco seasoning, this chili seasoning mix is a perfect way to add spicy, warm flavor to any dish. You'll love the combination of classic flavors and the bold finish with the perfect amount of kick!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- A sweeter finish can be accomplished by adding some white sugar or brown sugar.
- Crushed red pepper flakes are a great way to add even more heat. Start with ½ teaspoon and add more if you want a bigger kick.
- Add an extra tablespoon of the chili powder for an extra bold and powerful spice blend.
- Feel free to tweak the proportions of your ingredients to achieve the perfect balance of flavors.
- For addition flavor, add ingredients like garlic powder, smoked paprika, or even cocoa powder for a rich and complex sweetness.
Keep your homemade chili seasoning in a glass jar (like a mason jar or repurposed spice jar). Store in a dry place at room temperature to prevent clumping, or somewhere even cooler if possible. It's best to keep your homemade spice mixes out of direct sunlight as well.
Your seasoning blend will last at least 5 months, but can often be stretched up to a year. Just be sure to check for quality before using after the 5-month mark.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Use this collection of the best spices for chili to add flavor to any number of dishes! Utilize this perfect blend for a Chili Cheese Grilled Sandwich, to add easy flavor to Air Fryer Steak Bites, or as a mix-in for this One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet.
You can even use it to season these easy Air Fryer Frozen French Fries and give your side dish lots of character!
✔️ More Homemade Seasoning Recipes You'll Love
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning - You'll love this seasoning blend for its combination of savory and citrus flavors!
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning - Ever wondered what ranch is made of? Check out this post to learn how to make your own.
- Crab Shack Popcorn Seasoning - Add a dimension of seafood flavoring to any bag of popcorn for a delicious snack.
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice - This seasoning blend from Live Well Bake Often is great for adding depth and warmth to your favorite desserts!
Chili Seasoning Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Chili Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.3 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place in an airtight container and store in a dry area for up to a year.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preferences.
- For a bigger kick added to your seasoning, include ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper to your mix.
- For a bit of a sweeter flavor, add a teaspoon of sugar.
- To make the mix bolder and stronger, add an extra tablespoon of chili powder.
- When mixing the ingredients, you may need to smash up any clumps.
- This mix can also be used as taco seasoning! Use it as it is, or add some extra cumin - about ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon, to taste.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.