It’s so easy to make your own Homemade Ranch Seasoning! Forget buying the packets from the store and combine common seasonings to make your own ranch.
This recipe yields a seasoning that’s deliciously bold, and when used in dressing is perfectly creamy. Use this for dressing, chicken, potatoes, and anything else you can think of!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Ever wonder what ingredients are used for ranch mix? It has an iconic and distinct flavor, but it's actually easy to make with a combination of simple ingredients including seasonings and spices you probably have in your own kitchen!
This DIY ranch seasoning is perfect to use for homemade dressing, to sprinkle over your favorite proteins, or to use on your favorite snacks. Learn how to make ranch seasoning and never bother with the Hidden Valley ranch packets again!
If you love the flavor of ranch dressing, you'll also enjoy this Black Bean Ranch Tuna Salad!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- powdered milk - provides a dairy-like quality that makes ranch seasoning creamy and delicious.
- parsley - for some herbal flavor and pops of green color.
- dill weed - adds a subtle citrus-like and grass taste.
- garlic powder - gives your DIY ranch seasoning a distinctly garlicky flavor.
- onion powder - helps bring out the other ingredients and deepens the flavor palette.
- salt and pepper - for a solid base of familiar flavor.
- chives - provide another layer of subtle oniony flavor that helps pull everything together.
- To a large bowl, add powdered milk, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and chives.
- Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use as desired!
This widely known seasoning is made from a combination of chives, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Onion flakes are also sometimes included for additional onion flavor.
In some ways, ranch and mayonnaise are somewhat related. Ranch dressing is essentially a buttermilk mayonnaise that includes a specific blend of seasonings.
To use this DIY ranch seasoning to make homemade ranch dip or dressing, combine it with sour cream and buttermilk. Adjust the quantities to your tastes and consistency preferences.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- It's common for the various seasonings to separate in storage, so give your ranch seasoning a good mix before using.
- To use in place of store bought ranch seasoning (like the Hidden Valley packets), substitute about 3 tablespoons of ranch seasoning.
- Dried herbs are typically better than fresh herbs for this homemade ranch seasoning as they'll last much longer in storage.
- Ranch seasoning can be used to season things like chicken tenders or chicken fingers, to season meat, to make a dip for fresh veggies, or even to make a ranch popcorn or other snack infused with ranch flavor.
📌 Use your homemade ranch seasoning mix to spice up your favorite snacks, side dishes, appetizers, entrees, and more. This new pantry staple can be kept for months at a time and you probably have most of the necessary ingredients already in your spice cabinet!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- This ranch seasoning recipe can be adjusted to your taste. Increase or decrease the quantities of various ingredients until you find a blend you enjoy.
- Some other ingredients you can use to enhance your ranch seasoning include mustard powder, powdered buttermilk, paprika, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes.
Keep your DIY ranch seasoning stored in an airtight container (like a mason jar or other small glass jar) in a cool, dry place. If there's too much heat or moisture, the seasoning can clump up. Your seasoning should last at least 5 months, but can be stretched longer if properly stored.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Use this ranch seasoning recipe to spice up a side dish and add lots of flavor to your meal.
✔️ More Homemade Seasoning Recipes You'll Love
- Homemade Steak Seasoning - Give your steak dinner a delicious twist of extra flavor with this versatile seasoning.
- French Fry Seasoning - Turn a batch of ordinary frozen french fries into a delicious restaurant quality side!
- Crab Shack Popcorn Seasoning - Looking for a way to spice up your popcorn? Infuse this classic snack with delicious seafood flavor.
- Homemade Pizza Seasoning - Instantly upgrade any pizza with this blend of Italian spices!
- Cajun Seasoning - This recipe from Gimme Some Oven yields a bold and warm spice blend that works with all your favorite dishes!
If you like making your own seasonings, try making your own butter! It's so easy you'll never have to buy butter from the store again!
DIY Ranch Seasoning
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.½ cup powdered milk, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1 tablespoon dried dill, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried chives, ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix well to combine.
- Store in a airtight container at room temperature.
- The dried green spices tend to separate from the rest of the ingredients, so be sure to always mix before using.
- Use this DIY ranch seasoning in place of the store bought seasoning ranch packets. 3 tablespoons of the DIY mix is about equivalent to the amount in one packet.
- This mix can be adjusted to your tastes, just increase or decrease any of the ingredients as desired.
- This seasoning will stay fresh for about 5 months. It often lasts more than 5 months in the right conditions, but check the freshness before proceeding just to be sure.
- Store in a dry area to prevent the seasoning mix from clumping together.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.