Make easy Homemade Apple Pie Spice with a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. This yields the perfect combination of fall flavors for your pies, cobblers, and more!
You’ll only need 3 simple ingredients for this autumnal blend, which is super fast to make. Keep a large batch of this on hand for a wide variety of uses!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you find yourself in the middle of baking a delicious apple pie but without your favorite store bought blend of spices, don't worry! It's beyond easy to whip up a homemade blend of seasonings for apple pie.
With just 3 ingredients, you can bring out those warm, autumnal flavors that are so indicative of fresh apple pie. It only takes 5 minutes to make this spice blend, and you can make it in large batches to save for later use!
Just like my homemade Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice, this is a versatile and delicious spice blend that's perfect for all your baking needs!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- cinnamon - a classic spice to pair with apples, cinnamon gives your spice blend a familiar warmth and slight bite.
- nutmeg - adds a slightly earthy and nutty note that enhances the cinnamon.
- allspice - slightly bitter and fruity, allspice doubles down on the cinnamon and nutmeg with the additional aroma of cloves.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to a bowl.
- Mix until well combined. Use immediately or store for future use.
Any combination of cinnamon and nutmeg will do the trick if you need a quick substitute. I recommend adding allspice to give the seasoning blend that signature pungent clove flavor.
Most store bought versions will have some blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves (or allspice). The proportions can vary, but these ingredients are typical.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Use the highest quality spices you have to ensure this blend is fresh.
- Be sure to break up any clumps while mixing for an even blend.
- Double or triple this recipe to make your spice blend in larger quantities. Be sure to store properly to extend its shelf life.
- Use this in the same quantity as you would any store bought pie spice.
📌 This spice blend is perfect for flavoring your favorite apple pie recipe, but can be used for so much more! Make yourself a big batch and find fun ways to use it throughout the fall season.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Feel free to adjust the amounts of each ingredient so the blend is to your taste.
- Mix in additional spices and seasonings like ginger, cardamom, or ground cloves for additional flavor.
- This recipe can be sued for much more than just apple pie! Dust it on top of yogurt or ice cream, over your morning oatmeal, for other baked goods like muffins or banana bread, as a smoothie add-in, or a way to elevate any apple cider.
Keep your spice blend in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to a year. I recommend some kind of spice jar or mason jar.
Check for freshness after the 3 month mark, but properly stored, your apple pie spice should be good for up to a year.
🍴 How to Use this Spice Blend
Add this spice blend to this Homemade Apple Danish or my 2 Minute Apple Pie Crisp for a festive and delicious dessert. If you want to use it for breakfast, add to this Slow Cooker Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal or an Apple Cider Smoothie.
✔️ More Homemade Seasoning Recipes You'll Love
- Homemade Greek Seasoning - Give any dish an instant Greek flair, or perfectly season all your favorite Greek recipes!
- Homemade French Fry Seasoning - Upgrade those frozen french fries with this simple blend of flavors.
- Easy Homemade Poultry Seasoning - This is the perfect way to quickly and easily season any chicken or turkey dish.
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice - Avid bakers will need every tool in their arsenal during the fall, so try another pie spice blend from Country Living in a Cariboo Valley!
DIY Apple Pie Spice
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Apple Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- Combine all ingredients small bowl and thoroughly mix.1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg, 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- Use right away or store in a sealed container, in the pantry, for 10-12 months.
- You can adjust the amounts of the spices to your preference.
- Double or triple this recipe to make enough for multiple uses.
- Use this recipe in the same amount as store-bought apple pie spice.
- Be sure to break up any clumps that appear in your spice mixture. It gives it a more even blend when you do.
- Additional spices like ginger and cardamom can be added for extra flavor.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.