You won’t recognize the photo, but you might recognize the recipe. Every so often I like to take a fresh look at one of my past recipes and take new photos to see if I can make it look better.
Considering that many of my early photos are not great (ahem…terrible, actually!), it is pretty easy to make them look better now that I have had a lot more practice. I am still learning all the time, though!
Who knew there was so much to know about food photography? 🙂
While these photos are definitely better than the originals, I am not 100% happy with them.
I feel like I want to see a little more contrast between the shrimp and the rice (hard to do because they are kind of the same color) and I would like more definition with the rice (hard to do because it is so creamy). So I may do a 3rd take on this someday!
But for now, these are definitely an improvement…I love the pops of color with the tomatoes and scallions!
And now to say a few words about the recipe, since that is really what it is about, haha!! This is delicious and great for families because kids love the texture and flavor. Best of all, it is super-easy to make! My family loves it and we have it often.
Recipe adapted from Cozi.com.
Creamy Rice and ShrimpPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (finely minced)
- 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 ½ cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better than Bouillon (fish base)
- 1 pound shrimp (can be fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter (I use Brummel and Brown spread)
- ¼ cup half & half (I use Land O’Lakes fat free)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (optional)
- Saute the olive oil, onion, and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rice and mix with the other ingredients for about 2 minutes. Add the white wine and stir for a minute or two.
- Add the water and Better than Bouillon and bring to a boil. Add the seafood (OK if it is still frozen) and mix. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, butter, half & half, and Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with chopped scallions (if desired) and serve.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!