Sauteed Zucchini with Walnuts is my family’s FAVORITE side dish. You have to try this quick and easy zucchini side dish topped with Parmesan cheese and crunchy walnuts!!
I promised another zucchini post this week, so here it is! May I present to you….Sauteed Zucchini with Walnuts! Quick enough for a busy weeknight, yet elegant enough for a dinner party, this super-easy, and versatile side dish is perfect for any occasion.
Thing 2 ate this up like there was no tomorrow. He loves zucchini, especially grilled or cooked in a skillet. The key to making it for him is to get it to brown before it cooks too much and becomes mushy. He doesn’t really like it steamed because it doesn’t get that nice caramelized taste!
It took me a couple of tries to get this dish just right. Every iteration TASTED good, but I had to get the knack of getting the zucchini brown without overcooking it. First time: Tasty, but mushy. Second time: Tasty, and a little less mushy. OK, making progress!
And then I finally got the hang of it! The key is to remove the zucchini slightly ahead of when you think it will be done, because it continues to cook a little even after removing it from the heat.
(If I had a crystal ball, predicting when it will be done would be a whole lot easier, but mine has been in the shop for months. 😉 )
1. If you have time, it may be helpful to cut your zucchini, sprinkle it with some salt, and then let it sit for an hour or so to draw out some of the moisture. It is easier to brown it when there is not as much moisture in the vegetable.
2. Leftovers are not great the next day, so I always encourage the family to eat them all up the same night they are served. It is not usually a problem for us because everyone in my house loves this dish, but I wanted to mention that it is probably not a good idea to make a double batch in order to serve it again later in the week!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Sauteed Zucchini with Walnuts
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Sauteed Zucchini with WalnutsPrint Recipe
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add zucchini pieces and let them cook for about 3 minutes, until they start to soften and the edges turn brown.
- Turn over and brown the other side, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the skillet when it is softened but before it becomes mushy.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and Parmesan cheese, and serve.
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!