Gooey, cheesy whole wheat biscuits are made with the goodness of whole wheat flour and ready in less than 25 minutes! This homemade, healthier alternative to traditional biscuits is so easy; with this recipe you just mix, add to a muffin tin, and bake!
I have been on a mission for over a year now to come up with a whole wheat biscuit that the kids like. Initially, my main goal was to develop a go-to biscuit recipe that offers at least a little bit of redeeming nutritional value.
However, if the kids don't like the result, then there really no point in making them, since I try to avoid carb-y side dishes like biscuits as a general rule, and DH does not really need them either (sorry, honey!).
So, I kept trying with different combinations of ingredients, but I never could get anywhere with the whole wheat flour, the boys just don't like that nutty taste and heavier texture.
But then an idea hit me, what if I add CHEESE?! Cheese makes everything yummy! Well, maybe not everything, but it works on lots of things, so I figured I would try it.
Ding ding ding ding! Jackpot! I finally found the recipe combination using whole wheat flour that the boys will eat! The salty, melty cheese is a perfect complement to the nutty flavor of the biscuit dough, and it provides an added benefit of keeping the interior of the biscuit super-moist as well.
My other requirement for biscuits is that they have to be easy. I don't have time to mess around with letting them rise, and/or rolling them out and cutting them into biscuit rounds. You have to try these biscuits! YUM!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Another easy and delicious homemade biscuit is my Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuit recipe. So much flavor - if you love biscuits you need to try it!
Cheesy Whole Wheat Biscuits
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
Cheesy Whole Wheat Biscuits
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.1 cup whole wheat flour, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, canola oil, and water.¾ cup sour cream, 3 teaspoons canola oil, 1 teaspoon water
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. If the dough is too sticky, add a little additional water.
- Spray the cups of a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the dough in half, and distribute one of the halves among 6 muffin cups.
- Cut the mozzarella sticks in thirds, and place a piece in each of the muffin cups.2 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- Distribute the remaining dough among the muffin cups, gently pressing the dough down around the cheese.
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray, and sprinkle with garlic salt and parsley flakes.¼ teaspoon garlic salt, ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the tops start to become golden brown.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!
Dina | Savvyinthekitchen
These look delicious! Thanks for sharing at Tasty Tuesdays!
This is so awesome! Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for sharing this at our party! I always love your amazing creations. I hope to see you next Monday because we love to party with you! Happy Wenesday! Lou Lou Girls
Have you tried grated cheese and mixing with dough, maybe pepper jack or any type of cheese. Have a great weekend.
I have not tried that yet, but it is a great idea! 🙂 Thanks!
You are amazing! Thanks Kristin for another great recipe. I love the mozzarella stick cheese. The ingredients are usually in my fridge. Maybe I will make them for our Super Bowl dinner. Thank you!
Thanks, Bernadette! Right back atchya! 🙂 Hope you have a great weekend and a fun Super Bowl dinner! *Hugs*
Oh my, those do look good. I love baking with whole wheat flour, but it does get mixed reviews from the other eaters in my house. Good thing anything is better when stuffed with cheese!
I've never tried these before but they sure look yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.