This hearty and satisfying Chicken Taco Soup will take family dinner to the next level! A comforting dish, this delicious soup utilizes crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes for a balanced and flavorful result.
Top with corn or flour tortillas or use tortilla chips, and this soup will be a hit with everyone! It’s so easy to make and features an array of yummy, nutritious ingredients.
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Next time you want something hot, comforting, and flavorful, make this super tasty chicken tortilla soup! It takes all your favorite flavors from chicken tacos and turns them into a yummy soup dish that's so easy to make!
Easy to customize and make your own, this healthy chicken taco soup recipe can be ready in as little as 40 minutes for quick dinners. Thanks to easy canned ingredients, this soup is perfect for a reliable weeknight meal the whole family will love!
Or here's a delicious and comforting chicken pastina soup that is great for kids and adults alike!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- chicken breast - provides some protein and makes this soup filling.
- diced onion - gives your soup a distinct onion-y flavor that pairs well with the chicken.
- garlic powder - for extra savory flavor that plays well off the onion.
- red pepper flakes - provides a touch of heat.
- jalapenos - add even more heat to your soup and gives it a distinctly taco-like twist.
- cumin - another warm spice that deepens the flavors.
- crushed tomatoes - easy to use right from the can!
- chicken broth - or your favorite broth.
- black beans - undrained, as their liquid adds some flavor and texture to the soup.
- corn - for pops of color and nutrition.
- Saute the chicken in olive oil until just cooked.
- Add onion, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes and cook until onion is translucent.
- Pour in the jalapenos, cumin, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, and corn, then bring the soup to a boil.
- Simmer at a lower heat for 25 minutes, then serve with your choice of toppings.
A good way to thicken soup generally is to combine corn starch with water and generally pour it into the soup as it simmers. This chicken tortilla soup should be thick enough without it, but you can use this method if you prefer a thicker soup.
Adding ingredients with strong umami flavors can make the flavors of your soup much richer. Include things like tomato paste, mushrooms, or roast your onion before using it to yield a more rich flavor.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- This soup is perfect to serve with tortilla chips, but if you don't have any on hand you can make them yourself! Cut tortilla into the desired shape and cook them in a pan with about ¼ inch of olive oil until crispy. Drain on a paper towel or wire rack and enjoy!
- Other topping ideas include cilantro, pepper jack cheese, or soft tortillas.
📌 This healthy Chicken Taco Soup is a great option for meal prepping, a quick weeknight dinner, or a hearty side for a special weekend meal. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy the flavors of chicken tacos in a comforting and delicious new way!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- To speed up prep, replace the chicken with frozen cooked chicken. You could also use leftover cooked shredded chicken or shred a rotisserie chicken.
- Jarred jalapeno slices can reduce prep time, but you can also slice fresh jalapenos.
- Another shortcut would be to use frozen diced onion.
- For more flavor, add ingredients like chili powder, green chilies, onion powder, or even a packet of taco seasoning!
- This recipe can also be made with ground beef and beef broth.
- Pinto beans can be used instead of black beans.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Your Chicken Taco Soup will last up to 6 days in the fridge when stored properly in an airtight container.
It can also be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months in the proper freezer-safe container.
To reheat from either refrigerated or frozen, pour the soup back into a pot over medium heat and stir until heated through.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Serve your easy taco soup recipe with a fresh batch of Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits to continue with the jalapeno flavor, or pair with Homemade Cheddar Bacon Slow Cooker Bread for a yummy dipping option. You could also serve it with these Air Fryer Corn Ribs or a hearty Grilled Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich.
✔️ More Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Creamy Turkey Soup - A great way to use leftover turkey from the holidays!
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup - You'll love this soup with its blend of smoky and vibrant flavors.
- Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup - Loaded with veggies, this soup is super nutritious and easy to make.
- Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup - This rich and creamy recipe from Life in the Lofthouse takes your favorite burger flavors and turns them into a yummy soup!
For a super-flavorful and filling soup, try this Grah - Bean and Sausage Soup recipe. It gets it's amazing flavor from smoked meat and paprika, along with a favorite spice blend used in Croatia called Vegeta.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less or even eliminate for reduced spiciness)
- ½ cup sliced jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 14 ounces black beans, not drained
- 14 ounces corn, drained and rinsed
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium-high. Add the diced chicken and saute until just cooked.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- Add the chopped onion, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes until the onion is starting to turn translucent.1 cup diced onion, 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the rest of your ingredients and bring to a boil. Once to a boil, lower the temp to medium-low and allow to simmer for 25 mins.½ cup sliced jalapenos, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 24 ounces crushed tomatoes, 32 ounces chicken broth, 14 ounces black beans, not drained, 14 ounces corn, drained and rinsed
- Serve the soup and optionally you can garnish the soup with cilantro, tortilla strips or chips, lime wedges, avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Enjoy!
- If you would like to serve this with tortilla chips but you don't have them on hand, you can make your own using tortillas. Heat a pan with ¼ cup of oil (olive oil works great), cut the tortillas into quarters or strips, drop them into the oil and cook until crispy, then drain on a paper towel or wire rack. Alternatively you can cook them in the oven by spraying the pieces with a little olive oil spray and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
- For really quick prep, replace the diced chicken breast with frozen pre-cooked chicken.
- You can use either jarred jalapeno slices or slice fresh jalapenos yourself.
- Using frozen diced onion is a great shortcut.
- This soup is great topped with some fresh cilantro or pepper jack cheese.
- Store leftovers for up to 6 days in the fridge.
- Store leftovers in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply place the frozen soup in a large pot and heat until the soup is fully melted and heated all the way through.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.