Make this Homemade Taco Seasoning and skip the store bought spice blend! Easy to put together, it’s likely you already have most of the spices required to make this mix.
This seasoning recipe includes the perfect combination of Mexican flavors for any of your taco needs. It can also be used on a wide variety of other dishes to instantly add lots of warm and bold flavor!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Looking for an easy way to add instant flavor to your homemade tacos? Whip up a big batch of this DIY taco seasoning recipe and never go another Taco Tuesday without super flavorful results!
This blend of commonly found spices and seasonings is the perfect way to easily add flavor to ground beef, chicken, shrimp, fish, or veggies for the ultimate tacos.
You can even be use this Mexican seasoning in recipes like this Dorito Casserole to infuse it with warm and comforting flavors.
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- chili powder - provides a slightly spicy and warm flavor that's regular in taco seasoning recipes.
- ground cumin - another classic taco seasoning component that gives your blend a slightly nutty flavor as well as a bit of earthiness.
- garlic powder - deepens the flavor profile and adds a nice garlic taste.
- onion powder - pairs well with the garlic powder.
- smoked paprika - you can also use regular paprika, but I like the slightly smoky flavor the smoked variety adds to this seasoning mix.
- oregano - adds a subtle herbal flavor.
- salt and black pepper - provide a nice flavor base to support the other seasonings.
- Add chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper to a bowl.
- Mix until well combined. Use immediately or store until you need to use your Mexican seasoning.
This quick and easy DIY taco seasoning recipe is a great way to supplement any store bought taco seasoning, or to use if you can't find one. You can also use essentially any combination of the ingredients listed to season your tacos as you please. Chili powder and cumin are two of the most important for that familiar taco flavor.
This seasoning is made by drying and pulverizing chili peppers. Sometimes other spices are also included for balance of flavor, but the ground peppers are the main component.
If you're unable to find chili powder, add some cayenne or even red pepper flakes to your seasoning mix. This and a bit of additional cumin and paprika should cover the missing flavor of the chili powder.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- To use this seasoning instead of store bought taco seasoning, use about 3 to 4 tablespoons for every packet of seasoning you would've used. Start with less and add more if needed.
- Add some cornstarch to your meat or veggies before adding the taco seasoning to help the spices adhere.
- I used American chili powder for this spice blend. Chili powders that originate in other countries may be made differently, so be aware that this can affect the flavor of your taco seasoning.
📌 Great for tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and a wide array of dishes, this DIY taco seasoning recipe is easy to make with common ingredients and stores great for long periods of time!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Stir in about a teaspoon of sugar to add a dimension of sweetness.
- If you like your tacos spicy, include a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for additional heat.
- The garlic and onion powders can be cut in half if you find the flavors too strong.
- Feel free to adjust all of the ingredient proportions so this Homemade Taco Seasoning is perfected to your taste.
Keep your Mexican seasoning in a spice jar or other glass jar. Store it in a cool, dry place, or on a counter at room temperature. This spice blend will last for months!
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Use this DIY taco seasoning recipe as a shortcut in a wide variety of tasty dishes. Use it to season beef or chicken to serve in these Tortilla Bowls, add to an Easy Chicken Taco Soup for additional warm flavor, or use to flavor a One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet or Air Fryer Steak Bites for a delicious and exciting dinner!
✔️ More DIY Seasoning Recipes You'll Love
- Homemade Pizza Seasoning - Take any pizza dish to the next level with this versatile and flavorful seasoning blend!
- Homemade Italian Seasoning - You'll love seasoning your favorite Italian dishes with this iconic blend of fragrant herbs.
- Homemade Greek Seasoning - Embrace refreshing Mediterranean flavors with this DIY Greek seasoning blend.
- Cinnamon Sugar - This post from The Endless Meal will teach you the optimal ratio for combining cinnamon and sugar for tasty desserts!
DIY Taco Seasoning Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.1 tablespoon American chili powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Use immediately, or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 10-12 months.
- If you’re not a huge fan of garlic or onion flavors, reduce the onion and garlic powder by half.
- Add a ½ teaspoon of crushed red peppers to increase the spiciness.
- Try adding a teaspoon of sugar for a bit of sweetness.
- Depending on the brand of store-bought taco seasoning, 3-4 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning usually equals one packet. You can always start with 2 tablespoons and add more to taste.
- Add a bit of cornstarch to your meat when using this seasoning for the flavor to really stick to the meat. This really allows the flavor to come through.
- Once you’ve used the seasoning, you can adjust the spices to match your tastes.
- Be aware that chili powders can vary depending on the country from which they originate and significantly change the flavor of your taco seasoning.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.