I am going to step outside my usual focus on family-friendly recipes today to share something with you that is strictly for us grown-ups. Because, let's face it, sometimes these kids just drive us to drink, am I right?!? 😉 Seriously though, I like to have a nice cocktail from time to time, especially on the weekend. And is there anything that tastes better than a frozen cocktail on a hot summer day?
Well, there may be a few things, but a frozen cocktail is right up towards the top of that list! 🙂 So, when we recently had friends over for a barbecue on the Fourth of July (in 90 degree heat), I decided to offer frozen strawberry basil margaritas to our guests. The guys, by and large, stuck to beer, but we gals enjoyed these sweet, refreshing drinks that afternoon.
This recipe evolved in 2 phases, actually. When we had people over for the barbecue, I actually used a strawberry margarita mix, along with a few fresh strawberries and fresh basil, ice, and tequila. It was delicious, but a little on the sweet side. So a few days later I decided to try making my own, without using the prepared mix.
That ended up being a great idea, mostly because I got to tinker with the ingredients and taste-test along the way! By the time I achieved what I thought was the best balance of ingredients, I was feeling it a bit, LOL! But it was a lot of fun and I am super-pleased with the results. The only thing I would want to work on a bit more is how the color of the drink turned out. I would have liked it to be a little more of a strawberry red, but for some reason the red of the strawberries got toned down in the blending process.
It may have been the green of the basil leaves that did it. Nonetheless, the drink tasted AMAZING. Luckily, I didn't do so much taste-testing that I couldn't hold the camera straight, ha! DH and I enjoyed drinking these while watching the Phillies game after I was done (and the Phillies won! Woohoo!)
Frozen Strawberry Basil Margaritas
- Place the strawberries, ice cubes, and basil leaves in a blender.1 cup frozen strawberries, 8 ice cubes, 6 to 8 basil leaves
- Add in the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, salt, and sugar.2 ½ ounces tequila, 1 ½ ounces triple sec, 2 ounces lime juice, ⅛ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons sugar
- Blend until ice is crushed and all ingredients are well mixed.
- Serve in pretty glasses with fresh strawberries and basil garnish.
- If you would like to use fresh strawberries instead of frozen, increase the amount of ice to get a nice thick consistency.
- To make this for the kids, substitute ½ cup of orange juice for the tequila and triple sec.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
This post contains affiliate links. Check out our full disclosure here.