This Matcha Smoothie Recipe with kiwi and banana is the perfect way to start your day with nutrients and just the right amount of caffeine! The green tea and kiwi give this smoothie a refreshing green color and the bananas make it nice and creamy. A perfect smoothie for when you need an energy boost but don't want to go too crazy on unnatural sugars.
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
This matcha smoothie recipe is an absolute life-saver when it comes to putting together an easy and delicious breakfast! The combination of kiwi and banana pairs so well with the green, earthy taste of the matcha, and the green tea provides a great boost of natural caffeine that will help you kick start your day!
Not only that, but this smoothie is so customizable. Feel free to top with additional slices of banana, blend in blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, and substitute the milk for whatever kind of milk you use--or even plain water! The possibilities are endless, and this makes for a satisfying and nutritional breakfast that you can make again and again.
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- kiwi - this tasty green fruit will make your smoothie look just as healthy as it tastes!
- banana - a great ingredient for smoothies, since they add a great creamy texture but don't overpower with their flavor.
- milk - ensures that the smoothie isn't too thick to drink.
- maple syrup - a tasty source of natural sweetness that's better for you than adding sugar.
- matcha powder - gives this smoothie an extra burst of green color and also provides a bit of caffeine to give you an extra boost!
- vanilla extract - this ingredient is optional and just adds some sweetness and a dash of vanilla flavor.
Please note: This is an overview of the instructions. You'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Peel your kiwis and bananas, then place in the blender with the milk, syrup, matcha powder, and vanilla extract (if using).
- Blend everything until it's smooth, then serve immediately.
Matcha is a specific kind of green tea, which is made by grinding young green tea leaves into a powder. It comes from East Asia traditionally but is now popular all over the world! It is also sometimes just called green tea powder.
Matcha has no sodium, sugar, fat, or calories, and some studies have suggested that it may also be good for weight loss, heart health, and even for preventing certain cancers.
Matcha goes really well with any kind of citrus fruit, and other fruits that are more acidic like kiwis! It also tastes good with things like vanilla and dark chocolate; matcha is an extremely versatile flavor to work with.
They are typically fairly similar in terms of nutrition, but the caffeine from matcha is typically better for you than coffee. Since matcha has a lower caffeine content, it tends to lead to a better energy boost, usually without a crash that can sometimes accompany a cup of coffee. This matcha smoothie recipe is also full of lots of great antioxidants!
Smoothies are great to make ahead and keep around in the fridge for a day or two for a quick breakfast or grab-and-go snack, but don't let them sit around for too much longer than a couple of days or they may start to taste a little funny.
You can also freeze your kiwi banana matcha smoothie for as long as 3 months. Just be sure to pop it in the fridge to thaw out a bit when it comes time to enjoy again!
💭 Helpful Tips
- Looking to make your smoothie colder? Try freezing the banana head of time, or toss your smoothie in the refrigerator after blending.
- Smoothie too thick or too thin? Add more milk or water to thin it out, and if the smoothie is to thin add less milk next time or add yogurt or avocado to thicken it up.
This kiwi banana matcha smoothie recipe is the perfect option for a quick and fulfilling breakfast. It's simple, fast, and super customizable!
📖 Matcha Smoothie Recipe Variations
- Want to add other ingredients to your matcha smoothie? Go for it! Some options might include different fruits like blueberries or raspberries, yogurt to thicken it, avocado to thicken it, spinach or other greens to add nutrients, cocoa to change the look and taste.
- All plant-based milk alternatives will also work in place of dairy milk, and you can even use water instead!
- For more protein, blend some almonds into your smoothie.
🍳 Suggested Breakfast Dishes
- An easy and filling breakfast with lots of health benefits, these Easy Strawberry Overnight Oats are sure to satisfy!
- Lemon Pancakes are a sweet and citrusy twist on a classic breakfast, perfect for summer!
- And for something hot and hearty, try this Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole.
🥤 More Smoothie Recipes
- This Strawberry Smoothie Bowl is another filling and healthy breakfast option.
- Looking for a fall-appropriate smoothie recipe? Try this Smoothie Recipe with Apple!
- For something tropical and summery, an Orange Smoothie with Pineapple will definitely transport you to an island with a warm breeze.
- And if you love kiwi, try this Banana Spinach Smoothie with Kiwi!
Kiwi Banana Matcha Smoothie Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Kiwi Banana Matcha Smoothie
- 1 kiwi
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Peel the kiwi and bananas and place in the blender along with all the remaining ingredients.1 kiwi, 2 bananas, 1 cup milk, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1-2 teaspoons matcha powder, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend until smooth, then pour into a glass and serve.
- Add other fruits to change up the flavor.
- Add vegetables such as spinach or kale or nuts such as almonds or cashew to increase the nutritional value.
- Or add yogurt, avocado, or even cocoa powder!
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!