So fun and tasty, these Mint Chocolate Shortbread Snowflakes consist of delicious shortbread in snowflake shapes with a hint of mint flavor and drizzled with melted chocolate. Perfect for hostess gifts and class parties!
This recipe was first shared on Three Kids and a Fish as part of a fun #cookiecountdown2Christmas event
Today's post is an extra-special treat, because Thing 1 decided to don an apron and come up with a cookie recipe for you. So without further ado, here is Thing 1's post to share with you!
Thing 1 writes: Making these cookies was supposed to be quick and simple, but ended up turning into a 2-day process. You might ask, how? Initially, I tried to use a chocolate glaze recipe that I found on that magical place called the internet. The recipe looked easy enough, so I thought what could go wrong?
Well, after I combined the ingredients and melted the chocolate chips to the point where the mixture was drizzle-able, it immediately started to seize up. Ok. I thought, I'm not gonna to let this get to me, it happens!
So my mom and I ran to Walmart and picked up some chocolate melts and disposable candy bags, but by the time we got home, I was done for the night!
The following morning I microwaved the candy melts and they worked like a charm. To create the snowflake shape, I used a cookie press with a snowflake cutout disc, and to get the desired size of Oreo crumbs I used a small food processor.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, haha!), I overestimated how many cookies I needed and so I also ended up with a bowl full of leftover Oreo crumbs. Have you ever eaten crushed Oreos with a spoon? They melt in your mouth like you wouldn't believe! (Yum!)
I learned through experience with these cookies that it was a good idea to drizzle the chocolate on a few cookies at a time and sprinkle the crumbs while the chocolate was still pretty soft, otherwise they didn't stick well. Also it helped to keep the chocolate warm during the process.
This is a great recipe to play around with different cookie shapes, colors, and chocolate designs to make them your own!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Mint Chocolate Shortbread Snowflake Cookies
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Mint Chocolate Shortbread SnowflakesPrint Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl, then add vanilla and mint extracts.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and salt. Once combined, slowly add to wet ingredients while mixing.
- Once dough has formed, add a drop of food coloring and mix. Repeat until desired color is reached.
- Place dough in a cookie press, or roll dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut cookies using cookie cutters of desired shape. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 18-20 minutes.
- While the cookies bake, crush the Oreos (best done in a food processor).
- Once cookies are cool, melt the chocolate candy melts according to the package directions and transfer into a candy decorating bag. Cut of the corner tip of the bag and use it to drizzle the cookies with melted chocolate.
- After drizzling chocolate on 3-4 cookies, sprinkle them with the Oreo crumbs so that they will stick. Repeat the process for 3-4 cookies at a time until they are all covered.
Thank you, Thing 1! Don't those cookies look delicious?
For more tasty holiday cookies:
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!