For this month’s post, I am continuing my week of celebrating and honoring MY MOM, and sharing a recipe that is a throwback to my childhood. I just decided that this week would be the week, for no special reason, except that all of us should periodically let our moms know that we are thankful for all they have done and continue to do for us!
My mom used to make this delicious cake for my three siblings and me every now and then as a special treat. It never fails to conjure a vision in my head of all of us laughing and talking, while sitting around the brightly lit kitchen table enjoying this light and delicious dessert.
This is definitely a favorite dessert with my kids, as well. Imagine light and airy angel food cake, with two layers of creamy, fudgy chocolate frosting, all smothered in whipped topping.
This cake is simply delightful! It is not heavy or overly sweet, which makes it a nice little indulgence you can serve for any occasion, or just ‘because’!
Mom's Refrigerator CakePrint Recipe
- 1 angel food cake (store-bought or make using your favorite recipe)
- 16 ounces chocolate fudge frosting (1 container, or make your own)
- 8 ounces lite whipped topping (or your favorite whipped topping) (1 container)
- optional garnishes/toppings (berries, cookie crumbles, sprinkles, etc)
- Using plain dental floss or a large knife, slice the angel food cake from side to side to make 3 approximately equally thick sections.
- Place the bottom section on a cake plate, and spread about half of the frosting over the surface (use less if you want a smaller layer of frosting).
- Place the middle cake section on top of the frosting, and spread the other half of the frosting over the surface.
- Position the last cake section on top.
- Use the whipped topping to frost the outside, top, and inside core of the cake.
- Garnish as desired. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!