Mom always made the best desserts. One of our favorites was this super easy refrigerator cake with chocolate fudge frosting nestled between layers of light, fluffy angel food cake and smothered in whipped topping!
I am continuing my week of celebrating and honoring MY MOM, and sharing a recipe that is a throwback to my childhood. I just decided that this week would be the week, for no special reason, except that all of us should periodically let our moms know that we are thankful for all they have done and continue to do for us!
My mom used to make this delicious cake for my three siblings and me every now and then as a special treat. It never fails to conjure a vision in my head of all of us laughing and talking, while sitting around the brightly lit kitchen table enjoying this light and delicious dessert.
This is definitely a favorite dessert with my kids, as well. Imagine light and airy angel food cake, with two layers of creamy, fudgy chocolate frosting, all smothered in whipped topping.
This cake is simply delightful! It is not heavy or overly sweet, which makes it a nice little indulgence you can serve for any occasion, or just 'because'!
As if that wasn’t enough to make you want to eat a giant piece right now, here’s the best part: This is super easy to make, especially if you buy the angel food cake from the grocery store or bakery. Of course, if you have the time and the inclination, you can certainly make your own with your favorite angel food cake recipe. It is up to you! Most of the time, I turn to this recipe when I need a quick and easy dessert, so I go with a store-bought cake. The same can be said for the frosting and whipped topping…you can make your own, or use store-bought!
It is also fun to dress it up for the occasion. I used raspberries and mint leaves on this one to add some pizzazz. The raspberries in particular tasted amazing with this cake! But you can decorate any way you like, using fruit, cookie crumbles, sprinkles, or anything else you wish!
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Mom's Refrigerator Cake
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Mom's Refrigerator Cake
- 1 angel food cake (store-bought or make using your favorite recipe)
- 16 ounces chocolate fudge frosting (1 container, or make your own)
- 8 ounces lite whipped topping (or your favorite whipped topping) (1 container)
- optional garnishes/toppings (berries, cookie crumbles, sprinkles, etc)
- Using plain dental floss or a large knife, slice the angel food cake from side to side to make 3 approximately equally thick sections.1 angel food cake
- Place the bottom section on a cake plate, and spread about half of the frosting over the surface (use less if you want a smaller layer of frosting).16 ounces chocolate fudge frosting
- Place the middle cake section on top of the frosting, and spread the other half of the frosting over the surface.
- Position the last cake section on top.
- Use the whipped topping to frost the outside, top, and inside core of the cake.8 ounces lite whipped topping (or your favorite whipped topping)
- Garnish as desired. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.optional garnishes/toppings
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!