This Air Fryer French Toast recipe makes the most delicious breakfast! This recipe uses muffin cups for easy handling and cleanup, and they are simple to prepare and quick to cook up to a crispy on the outside, tender on the inside sweet and hearty breakfast treat.
Air fried French toast muffins are a perfect dish to serve for a brunch. You can even make them ahead of time for your family to grab and quickly reheat on busy weekday mornings!
- 👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- 🥘 Ingredients Needed
- 🔪 Instructions
- 👪 FAQs
- 💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- 📖 Substitutions and Variations
- 🥫 Storage and Reheating
- ⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
- 💡 What To Serve With This Dish
- 🍞 More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fried French Toast
- 📋 Recipe Card
- 💬 Reviews and Comments
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Have you ever made French toast in the air fryer? This delicious and accessible breakfast recipe is extremely versatile, great to make ahead of time and to serve at breakfast or brunch!
It'll take you just 25 minutes to prep and cook this air fryer French toast! The whole family will love this handheld breakfast treat, and you'll love how easy it is to make. Just like my Crock Pot French Toast Casserole, this recipe is a family favorite that'll have everyone asking for seconds!
Another air fryer breakfast recipe is this one for Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls, complete with a delicious frosting for a sweet start to your day.
Or check out these Air Fryer Egg Bites for a tasty and healthy way to start your day. They are also great to serve for a family brunch!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- cinnamon bread - adds extra cinnamon flavor to your French toast.
- eggs - helps form the batter you'll dip the bread into.
- milk and heavy cream - using both of these ensures your French toast is rich and flavorful.
- sugar - for some extra sweetness.
- vanilla - pairs will with the cinnamon flavor.
- salt - helps contrast some of the sweetness for a fuller flavor overall.
- butter - forms the base of the crumble topping.
- flour - helps the crumble topping thicken and form chunks.
- brown sugar and cinnamon - a classic flavor combination that'll take your French toast to the next level!
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
- Slice your cinnamon bread into cubes and soak, tossing gently for even coating.
- Pack the soaked bread cubes into silicone muffin cups.
- Place in the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- After cooking, allow them to cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup.
Be sure to soak the bread in the custard only until it's even coated; too long and your French toast may turn out soggy. If you find you're still having issues, you can also try toasting the bread slightly before soaking so it will better retain its shape.
I love using a cinnamon swirl bread to really pack the French toast with flavor, but some other classic options are Brioche, Challah, or French Baguette, as these will all hold their shape well.
Yes! To do this, instead of cutting the bread into cubes, cut it into longer stick shapes. Then coat and air fry as you normally would and you'll have easy and quick French toast sticks!
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- If you're looking for tools to make this air fryer French toast, try these silicone baking cups. If your air fryer is big enough, you may also be able to use this silicone muffin tin!
- Should you decide to use a different kind of bread, you may want to add about half a tablespoon of cinnamon to the custard before soaking the bread.
- To make a delicious crumble topping, break up the butter using a fork and mix it with flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar, then sprinkle over top of the French toast muffins before air frying.
- You may want to let the butter sit out until it's barely melted, as this will make it easier to cut up.
Air fried French toast is a family-favorite breakfast recipe. Great to make ahead and warm up when you need something quick and filling that you can take on the go!
📖 Substitutions and Variations
- If you don't have heavy cream or prefer not to use it, just up the milk to one cup instead.
- Add some raisins or dried cranberries in between the bread cubes.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.
- Top with fresh fruit like strawberries or blackberries for some added natural sweetness.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Your French toast should last for 5 days or so in the fridge if stored properly in an airtight container. To reheat, pop them back in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for a couple of minutes.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
One way to save on prep time is to dice up your bread ahead of time. This ensures that you can just toss everything together when the time comes. You can also prepare the custard the night before and store covered in the fridge, though I wouldn't recommend letting it sit for more than a day or so before using it.
💡 What To Serve With This Dish
🍞 More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes - Another quick and easy air fryer recipe that pairs well with all of your morning favorites!
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls - If you find yourself skipping breakfast because you don't have time, make these energizing and filling oatmeal balls to grab on your way out the door.
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats - Healthy and filling, these flavorful overnight oats are also great for the morning rush.
- Breakfast Burritos - Once Upon a Chef brings us a recipe for fantastic and stuffed breakfast burritos!
Air Fried French Toast
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Air Fryer French Toast
For the muffin cups:
- Dice the cinnamon bread into one inch cubes.6 slices cinnamon swirl bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt.4 eggs, ¾ cup milk, ¼ cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the bread cubes into the bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Distribute the coated bread cubes among the 6 silicone muffin cups.
- Optional crumble topping: Break the butter into pea-sized pieces using a fork or pastry blender, then mix with the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the crumble on top of the 6 muffin cups filled with the coated bread cubes.4 tablespoons butter, ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- Place the muffin cups in the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with maple syrup when serving.
- If you use need to regular bread instead of cinnamon swirl, add ½ tablespoon of cinnamon to the milk and egg mixture prior to tossing the bread cubes.
- No heavy cream? Skip it and increase the milk to 1 cup.
- An easy way to make the crumble topping without dealing with cutting the butter into small pieces is to warm it until it's just barely melted, and then slowly add to the flour mixture while mixing. However, be careful to not overmix as the combination will then become smooth.
- Make sure your muffin cups are safe to use in the air fryer. You can use individual silicone muffin cups, or a silicone muffin tray (they even make circular ones for use in air fryer baskets).
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.