Chipotle and Garlic Grilled Potatoes are a perfect BBQ side dish. Impress your friends and family at your next cookout with these beautiful, golden brown potatoes seasoned with chipotle spice, garlic, and roasted red pepper dressing!
I have one word to describe these potatoes: WOWOWOWOWOW!
OK, so that's not technically a word, but it was exactly what I said when I tried these potatoes. If you want a side dish that will blow 'em away at your barbecue, you have found the right recipe!
This zingy, flavorful dish will steal the spotlight and have your guests coming back for seconds and thirds. I could hardly stop eating them, they are that addictive!
I found this recipe at my friend Kim's site, Kiss My Smoke. You have to check out all the great recipes she has! This one caught my eye because it uses chipotle spice which is my new favorite spice.
I had never grilled potatoes before (except as an item on a kabob) so I was intrigued. It was great to add that subtle smokey flavor by cooking these on the grill (plus it keeps the kitchen cooler!), although you could also roast them in the oven if needed.
If you want to try these in the oven, I would probably set the temperature at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). I have not actually tried it, though, so let me know how they turn out if you try it that way!
I did a couple of things a little differently from the original recipe, mostly because I am lazy. First, as you can tell from the pictures, I did not peel the potatoes.
I washed them well and then cut them into chunks, skin and all! Also, I cut back a bit on the butter, just to try to keep the dish on the lighter side.
I was hoping that the flavor from the roasted red pepper dressing, the chipotle spice, and the garlic would be enough. And it was!
I cannot lie, Thing 2 actually made a face when he tried these. If he could have rated them -5 biscuits, I think he would have. But I did not ask, because this dish was not about pleasing the entire family.
The variety of food at barbecues means there is something for everyone, and this is for those of us that love a little HEAT and lots of FLAVOR! Thing 2 can just have an extra ear of corn on the cob if he is hungry! 😎
Try making these for your next cookout and see what a hit they are. You will be glad you did!
Adapted from Kiss My Smoke.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Chipotle and Garlic Grilled Potatoes
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Wash and cube potatoes and place in a large bowl (no need to peel).4-5 large russet potatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine dressing, olive oil, chipotle spice, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. Pour over the potatoes and toss to coat.½ cup roasted red pepper dressing, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon chipotle spice, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, ½ cup diced onions
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray and place the potatoes into the dish.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and distribute among the potatoes.⅓ cup butter
- Place the dish on the grill and close the cover.
- Cook for 45-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until potatoes are browned and tender.
- Right before serving, sprinkle with chopped green onion for a colorful presentation.¼ cup chopped green onion for garnish
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Hey there, you might be interested in these products!