Air Fryer Chickpeas are a healthy and filling snack that can be made in just 15 minutes! With just canned chickpeas and some spices you probably have on hand in your kitchen, you can whip up a nutritious snack that you'll feel great about eating or serving to your family!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you're looking for some new snacks to add to your pantry, look no further than these air fryer chickpeas! With a delicious blend of spices and a nice crunchy texture, these crispy chickpeas will satisfy any chip or cracker craving for a fraction of the calories.
Best of all, most of these ingredients are things you probably already have in your cabinet somewhere. Just grab some canned chickpeas and have a fantastic and tasty snack in only 15 minutes!
And if you love chickpeas as a snack, you've got to try this Chickpea and Black Bean Snack Mix!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- canned chickpeas - these will make this recipe a breeze; just drain and dry before using!
- olive oil - helps your air fryer chickpeas get nice and crispy as they cook.
- spices - for this recipe I used garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and kosher salt for a salty and spicy coating.
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas, then dry them well with a towel. Don't worry about the skins; if some come off just discard them.
- Add the olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt to the chickpeas.
- Toss well until all of the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Air fry for 12-15 minutes at 375 degrees F, making sure to give the basket a shake every 5 minutes or so.
The number one reason this happens with recipes like this is leftover moisture from rinsing and draining your chickpeas. Be sure to thoroughly towel dry the chickpeas to ensure they'll crisp up nicely.
Yes, canned chickpeas are already cooked so you can eat them right out of the can, but typically they're better if you do some additional preparation (like air frying them into crispy chickpeas!).
Chickpeas have a lot of fiber, which will help you feel fuller for longer and therefore could lead you to eat less. They also have a good amount of protein. Long story short, yes, eating chickpeas can help you lose weight!
Rinsing your chickpeas will help cut the sodium content almost in half, and especially for a recipe like these air fryer chickpeas, it's important to get rid of as much moisture as possible. Draining and rinsing them can also make them easier to digest.
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- These chickpeas will be at their crunchiest right after air frying, so try not to hold onto them for too long before enjoying.
- You can store the leftovers in an airtight bag or container for up to 5 days, but they'll lose their crisp texture fairly quickly.
- Be sure to leave room in the air fryer, or your chickpeas may not get as crispy as you'd like.
- If you have to air fry in multiple batches, be sure to wipe the frying basket in between each round to prevent burning or charring.
Air fryer chickpeas are a great snack to whip up quickly in the morning and have around to keep you going throughout the day. Pop them into snack size bags and send them with the kids for lunch!
- For an even simpler version of these crispy chickpeas, just use olive oil with some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Some other great spices to use: cumin, chili powder, curry powder, rosemary, or thyme. Try different combinations and see what works best for you!
- Serve these chickpeas as a snack, on top of salad, or use them for a custom snack mix.
🥗 Suggested Salads
These crispy chickpeas make a fantastic addition to any salad; they're a perfect healthy substitute for croutons because they're nice and crunchy and deliver a nice kick of flavor.
🍞 More Snack Recipes
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls - A sweet and filling snack that's perfect for a quick breakfast on the go.
- Guilt Free Jalapeno Artichoke Dip - Creamy and delicious, this recipe uses low/no fat ingredients for a lighter version of the classic dip.
- Strawberry Smoothie Bowl - Great for a cold and tasty breakfast or pick-me-up snack in the afternoon!
Air Fryer Chickpeas Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry chickpeas with a towel. If any chickpea skins come loose, discard them. (No need to individually peel each chickpea.)15 ounces chickpeas, canned
- Toss the dried chickpeas with the oil and spices.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, pinch black pepper
- Add prepared chickpeas to the air fryer - if your air fryer is smaller, or if you’re making a double batch - you may need to air fry in more than one batch. The chickpeas should be in an even layer.
- Air fry at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, shaking every 5 minutes. The chickpeas should be golden and crispy. (Cook time may vary depending on your air fryer.)
- Note that the chickpeas are at their crispiest right after making them, so serve them right away if you can.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days, but they will not be as crisp.
- If you are air frying multiple batches, wipe out the air fryer in between use to avoid smoking/burning.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!