If you're looking for a delicious easy weeknight meal, look no further! The whole family will love this Easy Chicken Fricassee Recipe! You'll love this dish because not only is it fast and simple, it's practical for weeknights; there are only 5 ingredients!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's elegant and tasty enough to serve for special occasions, too. I often use this dish take to friends going through a rough time, or even serve it to dinner guests with some dressed up rice and a nice veggie side dish, like these Air Fryer Green Beans!
For another great chicken dish, try these Pan Fried Chicken Thighs with Green Beans!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- chicken pieces - I prefer boneless skinless thighs, but you can use a whole fryer or just your favorite parts.
- olive oil - for frying the chicken.
- cream of mushroom soup - fat free works, you can also substitute cream of chicken or celery.
- milk - use 2% or low fat
- sliced mushrooms - I prefer fresh, but you could substitute canned.
- dried dill weed - adds a fresh earthy, lemony flavor.
- OPTIONAL - pearl onions and crinkle cut carrots - taking a shortcut by using frozen vegetables!
Please note: This is an overview of the instructions. You'll find the complete instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken and brown on both sides. It doesn't need to be cooked completely, just golden brown.
- Mix the can of mushroom soup, milk, mushrooms, dried dill weed together. Add carrots and onions as well if desired.
- When the chicken is browned, reduce the heat to medium, and pour the soup mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, until chicken is done.
That's easy! Chicken fricassee simply means cut up chicken. You can use a whole chicken fryer or just your favorite cuts of meat.
Traditionally, chicken fricassee is a French dish, with chicken and vegetables simmered in a rich, flavorful white sauce. It is a popular recipe because it's versatile (you can use whatever vegetables you have handy), affordable, and made in one pan.
Chicken cut up and boiled in soup or stew, but in a chicken fricassee recipe the chicken is panfried.
You bet! Asparagus would be great in this dish, as would fresh broccoli or carrots. I prefer frozen vegetables for the convenience of busy week day cooking.
Allow the dish to cool complete and store well sealed in the refrigerator. Leftovers will last up to three days. If you aren't able to eat them in that time period, good news is it freezes great!
If frozen, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Then reheat in the microwave until heated through or reheat in a casserole dish in the oven. It will take about 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Enjoy!
💭 Helpful Tips
- Traditionally a Chicken Fricassee Recipe is cooked skin on, but I prefer using boneless, skinless meat.
- You can use any cut of chicken, but I prefer chicken thighs because they are more juicy and tender when pan fried.
- This can be made ahead of time and kept warm in the oven if you're entertaining.
- Make it fancy with a sprinkle of minced parsley!
Pro Tip: If you use bone-in pieces, it will take longer for the chicken to cook. Check the meat with an instant read thermometer. Poultry is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Don't have the vegetables the recipe calls for? Don't be afraid to substitute what you have in the fridge. You'll just want to use vegetables that won't wilt while the chicken is cooking.
- Got leftovers? Chop up the chicken into small bite-sized pieces. Grab about 2 cups of mixed frozen vegetables and add that along with about 4 cups of chicken stock to a stock pot and make soup! Beef it up with pasta or rice and you have a whole new meal!
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
This is such a wonderful meal! If you're looking to round it out here are some great recipes that go so well with this recipe!
🍞 Related Recipes
Here are a few more great skillet chicken recipes that I think you'll enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice - inexpensive, no chopping - so easy to make!
- Chicken Parmesan - easy to make and another family friendly recipe, this one is always a hit!
- Skillet Lemon Chicken - I am such a fan of lemon + chicken! It makes the BEST combination. The light lemony sauce is the perfect combination to the tender chicken breast.
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings - A deliciously crispy and quick meal that is a bit more health conscious than classic fried chicken.
Or, try this Oven Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs with Jalapeno Artichoke Topping for an easy, flavorful weeknight dinner that you can make in the oven.
Check out this story for how to make Easy Chicken Fricassee!
Chicken Fricassee Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Easy Chicken Fricassee
- 4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breasts)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% fat free) (1 can)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup pearl onions (frozen) (optional)
- 1 cup crinkle cut carrots (frozen) (optional)
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add the chicken and brown on both sides, approximately 5 minutes per side.4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the can of mushroom soup, milk, mushrooms, and dried dill weed together in a bowl. Also add in the optional onions and carrots if desired.10 ounces cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% fat free), ⅓ cup milk, 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, 1 tablespoon dried dill weed, 1 cup pearl onions (frozen), 1 cup crinkle cut carrots (frozen)
- When the chicken is browned, reduce the heat to medium, and pour the mushroom soup mixture over the chicken.
- Once the soup starts to bubble, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, until chicken is done.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!