Make these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins and recreate a classic bakery treat with sweet and tangy flavors. Combine flour, sugar, eggs, and lemon juice for a moist, tender batter and speckle it with black poppy seeds.
These muffins are perfect for breakfast or a sweet and satisfying snack and pair perfectly with a hot beverage like coffee or tea. So easy to make in your own kitchen, you can customize your muffins by adding blueberries, coconut, and more!
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
These tasty lemon and poppy seed muffins are a bakery-quality treat that you can easily make in your own kitchen! Moist and fluffy, these muffins have the perfect amount of citrus tang thanks to fresh lemon juice.
With the inclusion of poppy seed for subtly nutty flavor, you won't be able to get enough of these yummy baked goods. Eat as a snack, light dessert, or alongside a cup of tea or coffee!
And if you love the flavor of lemon as a way to start the day, make these tasty Lemon Pancakes for a special breakfast!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- salted butter - a small amount of salt in any baked good is the perfect way to enhance the sweet flavors.
- sugar - adds lots of yummy sweetness.
- eggs - helps bind your batter together.
- lemons - for fresh and tangy lemon juice.
- vanilla extract - provides some extra sweetness that pulls all of the flavors together.
- flour - all purpose flour works great here.
- baking powder and baking soda - because of the lemon juice, baking soda is needed to neutralize the acidity while baking powder provides a fluffy lift.
- poppy seeds - add a beautiful speckled look to your muffins, as well as a somewhat nutty and sweet flavor.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds.
- Mix the batter until well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Yes! Poppy seeds are a fantastic source of protein, calcium, zinc, and fiber. They make an excellent addition to baked goods for this reason.
The floral and slightly earthy or nutty flavor of poppy seeds pairs well with the sharp and tangy citrus flavor of lemon juice. They also provide some visual interest with a pretty speckled black pattern.
If you find your muffins end up dry, try cooling them on a rack instead of in the muffin tin. Leaving them in the tin means they might overcook and dry out.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Serve warm with butter for a particularly tasty treat. Salted butter is perfect to contrast the sweet and zingy lemon flavor.
- Grease your muffin tin well before adding the batter. This will ensure the muffins come out easily after baking.
📌 You'll love these sweet and zesty lemon poppy seed muffins as an early morning treat or an afternoon snack. The lemon flavor pairs perfectly with tasty poppy seeds in a light and fluffy muffin!
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- For a bit of a shortcut, use store bought lemon juice instead of fresh. You'll need about a half a cup of lemon juice for these muffins.
- If you want even more lemon flavor, add some lemon zest to the batter.
- Dust your muffins with a bit of powdered sugar for a touch of extra sweetness.
Store your muffins in an airtight container or plastic bag, either in the fridge or on the counter. At room temperature, they'll be good for 5 days, and in the fridge they should last up to a week.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Serve these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins as part of a delicious breakfast or brunch spread alongside Air Fryer Boiled Eggs or some Easy Strawberry Granola.
You could also pair them with Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas or this decadent Kahlua and Cream French Toast.
✔️ More Muffin Recipes You'll Love
- Mango Muffins - These tasty muffins have chunks of mango and a sweet and crunchy almond topping!
- Orange Muffins - With the classic combination of orange and chocolate, you'll love this excuse to have chocolate for breakfast.
- Coconut Banana Matcha Muffins - Delicious fruity flavors paired with a boost of energy from yummy matcha powder.
- Moist Cornbread Muffins - You'll love these classic muffin recipe from Creme de la Crumb!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large lemons (juiced)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the muffin tin (use nonstick spray or butter).
- Using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth, starting on a low speed and working up to a medium-high speed as the ingredients.½ cup salted butter, 1 cup granulated sugar
- Add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Continue mixing on medium-high speed until the added wet ingredients are fully incorporated.2 large eggs, 3 large lemons, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds until no dry clumps remain and the poppy seeds are evenly distributed.1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Divide the batter among the tin evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Poppy seeds add a nice, light nutty flavor and additional texture to muffins. They also have some great health benefits. They have been known to support hair growth as well as support healthy digestion.
- Muffins can be stored in the fridge or on the counter in a zipper top plastic bag or a container with a lid. In the fridge they can be stored for up to 5 days and in the fridge, they can be stored for up to 7 days.
- If you don't have fresh lemons, you can use store-bought lemon juice instead. You will need about ½ cup of lemon juice.
- These muffins are great on their own or served with some warm butter. Salted butter provides a nice contrast to the sweet zesty-ness of the lemon juice.
- It is important to make sure your muffin tin is thoroughly greased. If it is not buttered, your muffins will stick to the tin and be more difficult to get out.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
How would I bake this recipe in a loaf pan or square pan?
Love the Tangy flavor of lemon. This cake has the sweet and Tangy flavor and the Poppy seed combination make it different too. Perfect for Tea Time parties.
These look so light, fluffy and delicious! They are a perfect muffin to start my day with.
I just got a fresh jar of poppy seeds and was prowling around for a great lemon and poppy seed combo. My kids loved these and they are perfect for lunchboxes too! The lemon flavor is so bright and lovely. Yum!
Lemon is my absolute favorite flavor and I can't wait to have these as a staple in my home!
I have always enjoyed the flavor of lemon poppyseed anything. I'm sure these muffins are absolutely delicious!