Thing 2 does not like eggplant.
I took that as a challenge. 🙂
Why, you may wonder? Well, eggplant is a nutritional POWERHOUSE. There are so many good things in there. Vitamins and minerals are just the beginning.
In addition to vitamin A, a bunch of B vitamins, folate, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus, eggplant contains compounds that are thought to prevent cancer. One of those compounds, chlorogenic acid, is an antioxidant and is also antimutagenic (inhibits cell mutations) and antiviral as well. The skin of the eggplant contains nasunin, which is also an antioxidant, but has the bonus of being antiangiogenic (prevents cancer cells from creating their own blood vessels to increase their blood supply). [Information source: LiveStrong.com]
And that is not even mentioning that eggplant is loaded with fiber, has zero fat, and only 27 calories in a 1 cup serving!
So, I made it my mission to see if I could get Thing 2 to not only eat eggplant, but actually enjoy it!
Of course, I knew that meant that I would have to hide it under some pretty tasty ingredients. What does Thing 2 like best? (Besides biscuits, of course.) Cheese!
So check out these cheesy, crispy, bacon-y eggplant rounds! These have all the deliciousness of loaded potato skins but with the nutrition of eggplant.
Are you wondering about Thing 2’s rating? Here it is! (drum roll please)
4.5 biscuits out of 5!! SUCCESS!!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice eggplant into round discs, about ¼ - ½ inch thick (thinner rounds will get crispier).
- Place the eggplant rounds on a baking sheet, spray both sides of each with a light coating of olive oil spray, and sprinkle with small amount of garlic salt.
- Place the rounds in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until rounds are getting brown and crispy.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Top each round with the shredded cheese and the bacon crumbles.
- Return the baking sheet to the over for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the scallions over the rounds and serve.
These could also be served as an appetizer for your next party!
This post contains affiliate links. By checking out this featured content, you help us continue to provide recipes perfect for busy families. Thanks for your support!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!