For a tasty dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes, make this easy One Pot Meatball Stroganoff! A creamy and delicious dish with meatballs and noodles, this is an option for a comforting but simple meal.
It uses frozen meatballs for quick prep, and there’s no need to thaw! With only one pot required, it also lends itself to easy cleanup.
- 💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- 🧂 Ingredients Needed
- 🔪 Instructions
- ❔ FAQs
- 💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- 💡 Substitutions and Variations
- 🥫 Storage and Reheating
- ⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
- 🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
- ✔️ More Meatball Recipes You'll Love
- Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
- 📋 Recipe Card
- 💬 Reviews and Comments
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Need a quick and comforting meal that's perfect for a weeknight dinner? Try this delicious and easy meatball Stroganoff recipe with frozen meatballs that can be on the table in as little as 30 minutes!
The combination of meatballs and noodles in a creamy rice sour cream sauce is a family favorite every time. Make this dish next time you want a satisfying meatball dinner with lots of easy flavor.
And if you love this quick meal, you'll also enjoy this Crockpot Beef Stroganoff!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- butter - helps the mushrooms cook into a soft and buttery base.
- mushrooms - add a delicious earthy flavor that compliments the meatballs and sauce.
- beef broth - beef stock provides additional beefy flavor and helps form the sauce.
- onion soup mix - a shortcut ingredient that packs in lots of flavor without much prep.
- thyme - enhances the flavors of the onion soup mix and helps ties everything together.
- black pepper
- noodles - uncooked wide egg noodles or a similar option tend to work best.
- flour - helps thicken the sauce.
- sour cream - gives your meatball dinner a creamy texture and provides a tangy bite.
- meatballs - pre-cooked meatballs are a great way to make this recipe easy and simple.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat, then cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in beef broth, onion soup mix, thyme, pepper, and noodles. Cover the skillet and cook until the noodles are just about done, about 7 minutes.
- Combine flour with sour cream and mix into the skillet. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs and continue to cook until they're fully heated through.
This dish has Russian origins and was named after a 19th century count named Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff. It's typically composed of pieces of beef cooked in a sour cream sauce with mushrooms and onions.
In most cases, sourness comes from acidic ingredients. Sour cream is meant to add a certain amount of sourness to your dish and leads to a rich sour cream sauce. If you find the taste overpowering, feel free to add some sugar, honey, or something like caramelized onions to balance out the flavors.
Classic beef Stroganoff sauce is made from a combination of sour cream, beef broth, and flour for thickening. Most recipes also include various seasonings for additional flavor.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Allow the meatballs to sit out for a while to defrost to speed up the cooking process.
- If you find your sauce is too thin, give it time to sit and cool slightly. It will naturally thicken as it stands.
📌 Make this recipe with frozen meatballs for a fast and super easy one pot meal! The whole family will love the tender meatballs with yummy noodles and a creamy sauce.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Olive oil can be used instead of butter if desired.
- Other kinds of noodles can be used if you prefer, but be sure to adjust cooking times to ensure they're not over- or under-cooked.
- Instead of sour cream, you could use cream cheese or Greek yogurt.
- Many Stroganoff recipes include onions; feel free to add some and cook them along with the mushrooms.
- For additional flavor, add ingredients like garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and parsley.
- Beef meatballs are the classic choice here, but if you have another meatball recipe you prefer that uses a different kind of meat, go for it! Turkey is a good options when you're looking for a lean meat, or chicken meatballs instead of beef.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store leftover meatball Stroganoff in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Be aware that it may take on a slightly yellow color when frozen, but the color will normalize when heated.
To reheat, either place in the microwave or transfer back to a large pot over medium heat and stir until heated through. From frozen, allow the meatball dinner to thaw in the fridge before reheating.
⏲️ Make Ahead Instructions
This recipe is a great way to use homemade meatballs that you've made ahead of time. Form the meatballs and cook them through, then keep them in the freezer until you're ready to make your meatballs and noodles. Perfect for busy weeknights!
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
To make this a full and delicious meal, serve your meatballs and noodles with Simple Garlic and Rosemary Potatoes, a batch of Easy Air Fryer Broccoli, this Roasted Potato Medley, or a super simple dish of Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes.
✔️ More Meatball Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs - These meatballs are perfect to serve over rice or noodles, or just as a delicious dish on their own!
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs - You'll love these tasty anf easy air fryer meatballs that are healthier thanks to using ground turkey instead of beef.
- Chicken Cacciatore Meatballs - Try this brand new take on chicken cacciatore that features yummy meatballs.
- Instant Pot Grape Jelly Meatballs - This tasty appetizer recipe from Cocktails and Appetizers is a unique sweet and savory blend!
Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
One Pot Meatball Stroganoff
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they are softened, abut 5 minutes.2 tablespoons butter, 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Add the beef broth, onion soup mix, thyme, pepper, and noodles to the skillet. Cover and cook for about 6-7 minutes, until the noodles are just about done.3 cups beef broth, 1 ounce onion soup mix, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon thyme, 4 cups wide noodles
- Stir the flour into the sour cream, then add it into the skillet. Stir until it incorporates into the sauce.1 tablespoon flour, 1 cup sour cream
- Cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce somewhat thickens.
- Add the meatballs and continue to cook until they are warmed through.18-24 cooked meatballs
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.fresh parsley
- You can substitute olive oil for the butter if desired.
- You will speed up the cooking time if you defrost the meatballs prior to adding them into the skillet.
- You can use other types of noodles, just adjust the cooking time so that the noodles are not overcooked.
- The sauce will thicken more upon standing.
- If you are concerned about salt content or the dish tasting too salty, use unsalted butter and/or low sodium broth and/or low sodium onion soup mix.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.