There are so many holiday bark recipes out there, and they look AMAZING! But they are not very friendly to the waistline. So here’s a holiday treat you can enjoy without worrying so much about calories, yet it is still sweet and tasty!
Of course, you can’t gobble up a whole pan of this stuff and think that you are being good, but enjoying one or two of these might satisfy your sweet tooth and help you avoid consuming more calorie-laden treats.
I was inspired to make these when I spotted the cutest little peppermint mini marshmallows in the store. I had to have them! And I wanted to do something really fun with them! After making a batch of my Vanilla Wafer Holiday Bark, I decided to adapt that recipe by using rice cakes instead of vanilla wafers, and then I had the idea of placing the festive-looking peppermint marshmallows on top.
The rice cakes add just a little bit of saltiness and crunch, and the marshmallows make it look festive and give a nod to the classic candy cane. And you have to love the toffee and chocolate in between, making this treat just as decadent and delicious as the original version.
Peppermint Marshmallow Rice Cake Treats
- non-stick cooking spray
- 8 to 10 plain rice cakes
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups peppermint-flavored mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the rice cakes on the sheet as close as possible, breaking them if needed to make them fit better.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and combine with the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and stir for about 5 minutes while boiling on low heat.
- Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture evenly over the rice cakes.
- Bake 3-5 minutes until bubbly.
- Take the pan out of the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- When the chips soften, spread them with a knife.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows on top and gently press them into the chocolate.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until cooled.
- When cool, remove from the refrigerator and break into pieces.
And here is my cat, Havasu, photobombing my Peppermint Marshmallow Rice Cake Treat photo shoot. Silly cat! She is a little diva!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!