You guys, I MUST share this recipe with you right away! I am not waiting until my usual Thursday morning publishing time. You deserve to have this recipe in your life, and I am not going to keep it from you for one more minute than I have to. (OK well, there was a slight delay for editing, since I’m sure you don’t want to wade through my many typos, no matter how good the recipe!)
I can’t take credit for developing this recipe, it was given to me by my friend Scott, who got it from his dad. It is a very simple process, but the results are completely delicious and ADDICTIVE. Seriously, folks, do not underestimate the power of this snack.
It has such a light, crunchy texture and sweet, nutty taste, and the combination just makes you want to pop these little nuggets of delight into your mouth, one after another, forever and ever and ever!
If you have a SuperBowl party to attend, take this snack and you will be revered and adored (unless you are cheering for the opposite team. No amazing snack can save you from a breach like that!)
However, you might want to make a double or triple batch, because these will not last long! Plus, you might eat half of them before you even get them all in the serving bowl. (Not that I would have any experience with that. Just sayin’.)
I can totally picture myself bringing these to gatherings all year round, from St. Patrick’s Day parties to Easter gatherings to summer barbecues to Christmas festivities! This is definitely my new go-to snack mix.
I am even thinking of all kinds of variations, like tossing in some pretzel nuggets to get that sweet and salty combo action going!
You may be thinking, sure these look good and sound good, but will Thing 2, the ultimate finicky taste tester, eat them? WELL….Thing 2 tried to steal the bowl and keep them all for himself, so I would say the answer is a resounding YES!
In fact, he would probably love it if somehow I lost my mind and served these for dinner. But that will never happen, because I am a good mom and good moms don’t serve snack mixes for dinner. (Besides, then there would be less for me to munch on later! Ha ha!)
Sweet Nutty Crunch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups raw peanuts (with the skin)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the peanuts, turn up the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue to boil, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, until all the liquid is gone but the peanuts are still wet. (Note: the liquid will take on a reddish color.)
- Spread the peanuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Flip/agitate the peanuts, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Flip/agitate the peanuts again and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Try to let them cool before you start digging in! You don't want to burn yourself! 🙂
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!