This recipe for pesto mushroom chicken is a great weeknight recipe because the active prep time is minimal. Once you put the ingredients together, you bake it for a while which gives you a chance to prepare the side dish, set the table, help the kids with their homework, and maybe even pour yourself a glass of wine! Plus, the results look so pretty, this recipe can double as a meal to serve when guests come over as well!
In order to streamline prep time, you can use pre-made pesto, but of course you could make your own instead which would make this dish even yummier. But, I have to say, the prepared pesto was so good I didn't feel like we were missing out at all. Note that I used the leftover pesto to stir into the rainbow rotini that I served as a side dish, and it went over really well with the family.
I adapted this recipe from one I found on MarketDay.com. DH, Thing 1, and I loved it. We felt like we were in a restaurant because the presentation was so elegant! Thing 2 was not pleased about the tomato slice, so I removed it for him and he was much happier. In fact, he gave this dish a rating of 4!
Thing 2 rating (without the tomato slice) =
Pesto Mushroom ChickenPrint Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pre-made pesto
- 4 portabello mushroom caps (slice from the top about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 large tomato (sliced into about 8 1/4 thick slices)
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom of a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the pesto and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in the dish and bake for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the chicken breasts from the oven and spread each one with the pesto-mayonnaise mixture.
- Top each chicken breast with the mushroom slices (as many as will fit).
- Then layer on the tomato slices (1-2 per chicken breast).
- Bake for 30 minutes until chicken is done.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 mozzarella slices, and bake 5 additional minutes until cheese is melted.