This quick and tasty 4 Ingredient Potato Soup recipe is hearty and comforting, perfect for the winter months. In only 30 minutes you can transform russet potatoes into a homemade, hearty weeknight meal your whole family will love.
With extra optional ingredients like bacon, garlic, green onions, or cheddar cheese to customize to your preferences, this versatile and simple potato soup is so easy to prepare and budget-friendly, too!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
I swear by this easy potato soup recipe! On nights when I want something quick but filling, this soup is a lifesaver. Making it with the optional additional ingredients really takes it to the next level, but it's yummy all on its own!
It only takes 4 ingredients and 30 minutes to get the base of this soup made, and then you can add your favorite fix-ins and toppings to customize.
This 4 ingredient potato soup will become a winter staple that the whole family will love, especially on a cold day!
And if you love simple potato recipes, you've got to try these Crispy Sauteed Potatoes. They're the perfect side dish for just about any meal!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- onion - a full yellow onion or about half of a sweet onion will do the trick; I prefer yellow onions for this recipe.
- salt & black pepper - use these to taste.
- broth - either chicken broth or vegetable broth will work.
- potatoes - I prefer to use russet potatoes for this simple potato soup.
- sour cream - adds a delicious creamy texture and a little bit of tanginess that contrasts the starch of the potatoes.
- bacon & garlic - these optional ingredients will enhance the flavors of the soup.
- Add the onion (plus garlic and bacon if using) to a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen, then add diced potatoes. Boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are nice and soft.
- Remove from heat and transfer in about 3-cup portions to a blender and blend. You can also use an immersion blender and pulse right in the pan until mostly combined.
- Return to the pan and add sour cream, then stir until combined and heat another 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
For a creamy potato soup like this one, Idaho or russet potatoes are good as they'll blend well and create a thick, creamy texture. If you want to make a soup with whole chunks of potato, you'll want something that holds its shape a bit better like red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
Add toppings like bacon bits, leftover ham, chives, green onions, cheddar cheese, croutons, sour cream, charred corn, breadcrumbs, or your favorite herbs and spices.
Transfer to an airtight container and keep your 4 ingredient potato soup in the fridge. It should last 5 days or so.
You can, but freezing tends to alter the creamy texture and cause your soup to feel a bit grainy. If you have to, follow the same method as storing it in the fridge and keep in the freezer for a month or so. Overall, it's best to enjoy potato soup as soon as possible!
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- If you want to keep this soup vegetarian but still want a smoky flavor, use a plant-based bacon product.
- This soup can be pureed either in a traditional blender or by using an immersion blender. How much and how smooth the soup is becomes your choice!
- To reheat, either transfer to a microwave safe bowl or reheat in a saucepan or pot on the stovetop on medium-high heat.
This easy potato soup is great for a warm and comforting dinner, or even a substantial lunch. Serve with a salad and you have a healthy and delicious meal ready in just half an hour. Whether it's cold out or you're just craving something comforting, there's always a good reason to make this simple soup!
- Butter and whole milk can be used instead of chicken stock and sour cream for an ultra-creamy soup.
- For a less dense and lower calorie version, replace some of the potato with riced cauliflower. Nobody will be able to tell the difference!
- If you want a cheesy taste but want to keep this soup vegan, nutritional yeast is a great option to either blend in or sprinkle over top.
- Adding ingredients like celery or rosemary and thyme while cooking the onions is a great way to add flavor without too much extra effort.
- Pour in a dash of heavy cream for an even thicker texture. If you like your soup with extra tang, some cream cheese might also do the trick.
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
While this 4 ingredient potato soup is plenty filling on its own, pairing it with a healthy side dish makes for a great meal! Try it with Air Fryer Green Beans for a quick side that'll be done even before the soup, or with a nice salad: Cucumber Salad and Kale Caesar Salad are both great options.
🍲 More Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Chicken Soup - A classic soup that's so easy to prepare in your slow cooker, this crockpot recipe is one every home chef must have!
- Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup - This flavorful and creamy soup is like a cheeseburger in a bowl!
- Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup - Silky smooth and so tasty, this healthy soup will be a hit with the whole family!
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup - A unique twist on classic tomato soup!
- The Best Homemade Tomato Soup - From Broma Bakery, this recipe yields the classic tomato soup we all know and love.
The Best Potato Soup Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- 1 Large Saucepan
- 1 Blender
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (if desired)
- 6 slices bacon (if desired)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion (and the optional garlic and bacon if you are using them) and saute until the onion softens. Add the salt and pepper and cook for another minute.½ diced onion, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon minced garlic (if desired), 6 slices bacon (if desired)
- Add the broth and scrape the bottom of the saucepan to loosen any bits, then add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes until the potatoes have softened.4 cups broth, 4 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Remove from the heat. Carefully ladle about 3 cups of the soup into a blender and puree. (If using an immersion blender, pulse the soup directly in the pan until mostly blended.)
- Pour the blended soup back ito the pan and add the sour cream. Stir or whisk until combined and heat for another 5 minutes, until hot.⅓ cup sour cream
- Serve with your favorite toppings: bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, additional sour cream, etc.
- Use a plant-based bacon product to get the flavor of bacon but still keep the recipe vegetarian.
- Puree soup in a traditional blender or use an immersion blender. Puree to your desired thickness and texture.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up 3-5 days. Reheat in microwave or on the stove.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!