The tuna melt is a classic lunch choice. I hadn’t had a tuna melt in a loooong time, and for some reason I just developed a hankering for one. But of course, I could not just make a plain ol’ tuna melt. I decided to make a fancy schmancy, upscale tuna melt. I was just in one of those moods.
So I started with whole grain bread, because every one knows that whole grains rock. Am I right? 🙂
I decided to forego celery in my tuna salad, because I am just not a huge fan of celery. But I did add some garlic powder, onion flakes, paprika, and a smidge of dried dill weed for a little pizzazz!
I chose to use avocado on the melt also, because, well, what doesn’t taste better with some avocado on it?? Well, maybe a few things don’t taste better with avocado, but I was pretty sure it would rock on a tuna melt (and it did!).
Tomato and meunster cheese rounded out my ingredient selections. Why muenster cheese? Because I like meunster cheese, that’s why!
I admit, this recipe was all about ME and the things that I like. As a busy mom constantly working to meet the needs of the family, I think I deserve to make my ideal tuna melt every once in a while!
But, I am happy to say that DH also loved this. Thing 1 and Thing 2 pulled out the tomato, and Thing 2 removed the avocado as well.
I am not sure how any child of mine could dislike avocado, but there you have it. Oh well, that leaves more avocado for me!
Avocado Tuna MeltPrint Recipe
- Lightly toast each slice of bread.
- While the bread is toasting, make the tuna salad by combining the tuna, mayonnaise, dill, onion flakes, garlic powder, and paprika in a medium bowl.
- Place the toasted bread on a baking sheet.
- Distribute the avocado slices among the 4 pieces of bread.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the avocado.
- Distribute the tuna salad on top of the tomato.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the tuna.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler on high for 3-4 minutes until the sandwich is hot and the cheese is melted.
What is on YOUR ideal tuna melt? Leave a comment and let me know!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!