This Bacon Pizza with Onions is so simple to prepare in the oven! It's an easy homemade pizza with an amazing compilation of flavors that will have your family raving with every bite! With flavorful caramelized onions and added sweetness from an apple butter spread, this unique and easy homemade pizza will take your pizza night to the next level!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
This easy homemade pizza recipe is a fantastic option when you're tired of delivery and want a meal that's unique and full of flavor!
Bacon pizza with onions is a sweet and savory experience thanks to the crispy bacon, caramelized onion, Gouda cheese, and apple butter. The arugula garnish adds an extra dimension of flavor and I'd argue it makes this a healthy pizza too!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- butter - you'll combine this with the olive oil to get the onions nice and caramelized.
- olive oil
- onion - yellow onion works best here.
- balsamic vinegar - mixed with the onions, this will add a lot of flavor without much effort.
- pizza dough - any kind of store bought pizza crusts work for this recipe, but you can also make dough from scratch if you prefer.
- apple butter - acts as the sauce for this pizza and provides a sweetness to balance out the salty ingredients.
- red pepper flakes - provide some added heat.
- bacon - salty bacon gives your pizza with onion so much hearty flavor!
- pecans - provide an added crunch and a sweet nuttiness.
- shredded Gouda - a rich and sweet-leaning cheese that pairs well with the other toppings.
- baby arugula - optional but great for added color and a perfect way to get some extra greens in!
- Melt butter over medium heat and combine with olive oil.
- Add the onions, making sure they're coated. Add salt and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix in balsamic vinegar and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Roll out your pizza dough and place it on a baking tray or pizza stone. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Spread the apple butter over the crust and sprinkle red pepper over top.
- Distribute onions, bacon, and chopped pecans.
- Top with Gouda cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before topping with baby arugula.
Bacon is a versatile ingredient that pairs well with lots of toppings. Pecans and caramelized onions make for a unique and complex flavor profile like in this bacon pizza, but you could also pair bacon with anything from pineapple to mushrooms to olives to fresh tomato.
Typically, any meats like bacon should be fully cooked before going on top of pizza. Much of the cooking of pizza is really to brown the crust and melt the cheese, and this may not be enough time to cook the bacon all the way.
A pizza stone is a great option for making homemade pizza, as it naturally helps absorb some of the moisture from the dough which leads to a more evenly cooked and crispy crust. You can also cook your pizza on a typical baking sheet with some oil to ensure the crust gets crispy.
Mozzarella is almost never a bad choice for a pizza since it has a mild flavor and melts exceptionally well, but depending on the toppings there are other options that may enhance the flavor. Try cheddar, Gouda, Swiss, or provolone to see what kind of pizzas you can come up with. Mixing cheeses is also a great option for extra flavor!
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- Using a pre-cooked crust is a great time saver!
- When rolling out your dough, don't be afraid to use lots of flour on your surface and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
- You can buy bacon pre-cooked for a time saving hack.
- Another quick way to get bacon cooked is to place the strips between paper towels and microwave on high until crispy (which takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave).
Bacon pizza with onion is a fantastic option for any weeknight dinner or for when you want to keep pizza night homemade. Whether you're using a pre-made crust or homemade pizza dough, this unique combination of pizza toppings is sure to impress and satisfy!
- Feel free to vary the amount of red pepper flakes to adjust the heat. Omit them altogether if spicy food isn't your thing! (However, if you make this with the suggested measurements, it really isn't all that spicy.)
- Try other cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar, or Parmesan cheese in addition to or instead of the Gouda.
- If you want a pizza that's more on the savory side, switch out the apple butter for barbecue sauce.
- Try other kinds of greens on top and make this a spinach pizza!
🥗 Suggested Side Dishes
If you add the arugula, this bacon pizza makes for a full meal all on its own, but here are a few options for sides you could serve if you need to feed a large crew or want a certified feast!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts are another yummy and green side that are easy to prepare and perfect to customize to your taste!
🍕 More Pizza Recipes You'll Love
- Vegetarian Sausage Basil Pizza - With a buttery crunch from the cashews and the smoky sweetness of the sausage, this unique homemade pizza is a great recipe to add to your rotation!
- Curry Pizza with Vegetables - Another delicious pizza with onion, this recipe combines the classic flavor of curry with a yummy pizza.
- Easy Pan Pizza - A simple but versatile pizza with a soft and bread-like crust.
- Homemade Hawaiian Pizza - This recipe from Crazy for Crust yields the perfect sweet and salty Hawaiian pizza!
Easy Homemade Bacon Pizza Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Bacon Pizza with Caramelized Onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (sliced thin)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 14 ounces pizza dough (enough for 15-16 inch pizza)
- 1 cup apple butter
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 slices cooked bacon (roughly chopped)
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and combine with olive oil.2 teaspoons butter, 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Add onions and toss to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir and add salt, then cook for another 5 minutes.1 yellow onion, ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Mix in the balsamic vinegar then cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Roll out pizza dough if needed and place on pizza tray. Bake for about 10 minutes then remove it from the oven.14 ounces pizza dough
- Spread apple butter over dough, the sprinkle red pepper flakes on top. Distribute the onions, then sprinkle the chopped bacon and pecans.1 cup apple butter, ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes, 4 slices cooked bacon, ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- Top with the Gouda cheese, place in the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes, until pizza is done and cheese is melted and bubbly.2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, and top with baby arugula.2 cups fresh baby arugula
- For a shortcut, use a cooked pizza shell (like Boboli) and skip rolling out and pre-baking the dough.
- If you roll out the pizza dough make sure you use plenty of flour to prevent sticking.
- You can also buy pre-cooked bacon if you want to avoid having to cook it ahead of time. Another shortcut for the bacon is to cook it in the microwave. Place the bacon between two paper towels and microwave on high until crispy. This usually takes about 3 minutes in my microwave.
- You can increase or reduce the red pepper flakes based on your family's preferences. ⅛ teaspoon is just right for my family - it adds a layer of flavor complexity without making it really spicy.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in January 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in January 2022.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!