You will never go back to a boxed mix again. Try this easy dark chocolate brownie recipe for a delicious, fudgy, and better-for-you dessert that doesn't compromise on flavor or texture!
Let me just first state up front that these brownies are not health food in any way, shape, or form. You can only push this concept so far before you start to lose too much of everything we love about brownies.
But, that being said, using black beans as a substitute for most of the oil really helps to lighten up these tasty treats without compromising on their incredible yumminess. Shhhhhh...it's a secret!
My boys, to this day, don't know that they have been eating black beans when they chow down on these squares of happiness.
But, that's not all folks! There is another secret to this brownie recipe that makes it so delicious and decadent!
The secret is.... (drum roll, please, along with suspenseful music...)
Dark chocolate cocoa!
Yes, purely by accident, I discovered that using dark chocolate cocoa in this recipe results in the chocolatiest, fudgiest, yummiest brownies ever.
It just so happened that one day when I decided to make these brownies, I realized too late that I was out of the regular cocoa that I usually use.
But, there was a container of dark chocolate cocoa in the cabinet, leftover from one of the baking experiments of my older son. So I used that instead, and I am so glad I did!
Give this brownie recipe a try! You will be surprised at how amazing these turn out.
Note that you can also use the black bean substitution in using a mix from the box. However, the cocoa in the typical boxed mixes is not the dark cocoa, so just keep that in mind and don't be surprised that they don't turn out quite as delicious as these brownies. Either way, they will still be good!
And if you're still craving brownies, you have to try this Brownie Cakesicles Recipe! For a fall twist, make these Pumpkin Brownies with Oreos! And if you lovr candy bars, make these Snickers Bar Brownies.
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hershey's brand Special Dark)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces black beans (about ½ can)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by lining it with parchment paper and spraying the paper with baking spray. (Allow the edges of the paper to overhang the pan to help with removal later.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.1 cup flour, 2 cups sugar, ¾ cup dark cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- In a blender or food processor, blend the black beans (with liquid) until smooth. (I usually just blend the whole can of beans and keep the remainder in the fridge to use in another recipe.)7 ounces black beans
- In a medium bowl, combine ⅔ cup of the black bean puree, water, oil, eggs, and vanilla.⅓ cup water, 1 tablespoon canola oil, 4 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap it a few times on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. When it is done, the edges should be getting a little crispy and the middle will not jiggle when you shake the pan.
- Cool in the pan and then remove to cut into 12 pieces.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Tools used for this recipe:
Interested in some other chocolate recipes?
Chocolate Pretzel Monkey Bread
Easy Chocolate Raspberry Fudge
Malted Chocolate Stout Cake
Best Homemade Chocolate Sauce
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!
Sometimes the best recipes come by accident 🙂 Thanks for sharing your brownie recipe on MM. Will be featuring this on tonight's party!
Oh wow, thanks! I really appreciate it, Erlene!
Those black bean brownies look heavenly!
Beautiful Brownies! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
Helen at the Lazy Gastronome
These look so rich!! Thanks for sharing your great recipes at the What's for Dinner party.
I definitely have to try these! Thank you for sharing at the To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More link party! Pinned!
Oh boy do those look good! Thanks for linking up at the Dishing It & Digging It Link Party. Hope you made some new friends and had fun! Have a great weekend!
These look amazing! Pinned & sharing! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
Can't wait to try these. Right up my alley.