There are certain dishes that totally remind me of my childhood. For example, my mom always made a killer sour cream and mushroom sauce at Thanksgiving.
I think she got the recipe from my grandmother and adapted it at some point. It is DELISH, and tastes amazing on just about everything we have at Thanksgiving, except maybe the pumpkin pie. In fact, many of us in my family would completely forgo the turkey gravy and just use the sour cream and mushroom sauce on the turkey, potatoes, and veggies. We would even sop up any extra with the rolls. I am getting hungry just thinking about it!
I say that she ‘made’ a killer sauce instead of ‘makes’ a killer sauce, only because I don’t generally have Thanksgiving dinner at my parents’ house anymore. But she still does make the sauce, as far as I know! We typically spend Thanksgiving with DH’s family, and Christmas with my family. It works out well overall, but I found after the first couple of Thanksgiving dinners away from my family that I was a little homesick for some of our traditions.
My mom suggested to me that I make the sour cream and mushroom sauce to serve with the rest of the Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws, which was an AWESOME idea. I love having that little reminder of my childhood Thanksgiving dinners. Some things you just never grow out of, no matter how old you get (not that I am anywhere near to being old, ahem). 🙂
As you can tell, that sauce is very special to me, and so I reserve making the ‘real’ version for Thanksgiving dinner. However, I wanted to come up with another version that was also delicious but maybe a little healthier to use the rest of the year. I thought about using light or fat-free sour cream instead of regular, but then I had the idea to try it using nonfat Greek yogurt.
Well, it turned out great! I served it over tortellini because that is what the kids wanted. However, it would be great over lots of other things, including chicken, turkey, a different pasta, or just about any steamed vegetable. Both boys loved it, even Thing 2! DH was on board as well!
Thing 2 rating = (4 out of 5 biscuits)!
Tortellini with Greek Yogurt and Mushroom SaucePrint Recipe
- In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt and the flour. Set aside.
- Begin to prepare the tortellini according to package instructions. While the tortellini is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and salt, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer about 8-9 minutes.
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting. Add the yogurt and the dill to the mushrooms and stir until well combined.
- Add in the baby spinach and stir until wilted.
- Drain tortellini when it is done and top with the sauce.