No room in your oven? That’s no problem with this easy and incredibly tasty Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples side dish!
This is my favorite kind of recipe, hands down. Just dump a few ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on, and come back a while later to something tasty to eat! And this dish is delicious indeed. The butternut squash and apples mixed with cranberries, cinnamon, and nutmeg make for a fragrant and comforting side dish that will pair well with just about any holiday meal!
I like to use frozen diced butternut squash (so much easier and in this kind of recipe it is just as good as fresh!), so the hardest part of the prep for this dish is cutting the apples into pieces. (I don’t bother skinning the apples, although you certainly can do that if you have family members who won’t care for the apple skins.)
I like to use one of those apple slicers you can get for less than 10 bucks, and that makes cutting the apples so easy, I don’t mind it at all. I just use my slicer to core the apples and slice them into wedges, then I quickly cut each wedge into 4 or 5 pieces, and that’s it!
This week’s #SundaySupper event is all about holiday side dishes. Which makes this post a great resource for any kind of holiday side dish option you might need. Stuffing, potatoes, veggies, rolls – this post has them all in a handy list, just scroll down to drool over all of them!
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples
- Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally and checking the squash for tenderness.
- Once the squash is tender, switch to warm until it is time to serve. Don't overcook or your squash will turn to mush (it will still be tasty, though!)
Make sure you check out the other fabulous #SundaySupper recipes!
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!