Smoked salmon and cream cheese pairs perfectly with a briny olive and tangy lemon. It's a great combination! Bonus? It only take 10 minutes to make!
👩🏻🍳 Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese Back Story
Today I am sharing with you these Smoked Salmon Bites with cream cheese. We are big fans of smoked salmon in this house. One New Year's Eve, I attended a party and they served a smoked salmon appetizer that was just AMAZING! I decided to try to recreate it because I know you'll love it too!
This appetizer is so simple to make and requires no cooking. When I made it to take pictures for this post, we actually had them for dinner. They were so good and even the kids loved them!
The texture and flavors work so well together. Besides the salmon and cream cheese, the little piece of lemon and the olive half on each bite add that extra tangy flavor that makes these go from excellent to awesome!
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese appetizers are so easy, you can make them in about 10 minutes once you get on a roll. But they are so fancy-looking, your guests will be impressed and rave over them!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
For a complete list of ingredients, just scroll down to the bottom to the recipe.
- scallion cream cheese - If you aren't able to find this particular cream cheese you can make your own with a brick of cream cheese mixed with minced scallions.
- smoked salmon - because it is the star of this appetizer purchase a good brand. Now isn't the time to be cheap!
- green olives - for briny goodness.
- lemon - you'll use a segment on each bite, so one fresh lemon.
- appetizer picks (to hold the bites together)
- scallion for garnish - though this is optional, I recommend including fresh minced scallion to compliment the flavor from the cream cheese.
For the complete list of step by step directions, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Slice the smoked salmon into strips.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and allow to come to room temperature, mix to soften. Spoon a about a tablespoon of cream cheese on one end of the strip.
- Roll the salmon up around the cheese.
- Slice a segment of the lemon and place on top of the salmon roll.
- Cover with half of a green olive.
- Insert an appetizer pick to secure the appetizer. Repeat with remaining salmon and cream cheese.
Unopened, about two weeks. Once it's opened, leftover smoked salmon will last about three days in the refrigerator. Make sure it's well sealed! This appetizer will not freeze well.
No, it's not the same flavor. For this recipe smoked salmon would be your best choice. It's thinly sliced which makes it easy to roll around the cheese.
No the hot or cold curing process cooks the salmon all the way through. There is no need to cook smoked salmon. It's ready to eat!
💭 Top Tips
- This appetizer is a wonderful finger food for your next party. Be sure to keep them refrigerated until ready to serve as they are best when chilled. Bonus? You can make them a day ahead!
- Use just a scant tablespoon of cream cheese. Overloading them will make them look messy and the cheese will squeeze out the side.
Cream cheese is a mild option that goes well with the salmon. Herbed goat cheese would be a great substitute!
Substitute a sprinkle of fresh dill for the scallion garnish. It would be a wonderful compliment to this appetizer. Dill + salmon = delicious!
😋 More Seafood Appetizers
I like to serve this appetizer with a variety of crackers and toast points. It would be wonderful served with thinly sliced olive parmesan bread! Plain butter crackers would also be delicious! They highlight the flavor of the salmon.
If you have some leftover salmon, make a small bowl of smoked salmon dip! That would be delicious served alongside the smoked salmon and cream cheese bites.
More of my favorite yummy seafood appetizers are:
And I don't want to neglect to mention another really REALLY easy, yet super elegant and tasty appetizer. It isn't seafood related, but this Baked Brie with Jam is so simple and quick, you will definitely want to add it to your snack table!
🎉 More Holiday Party Ideas
- Check out these Christmas Pretzels for a super-easy, no bake treat that can be customized to any occasion or holiday.
- White Chocolate Dipped Coffee Shortbread cookies are unique and delicious. They also make great hostess gifts!
- Party guests will rave over this Sweet Nutty Crunch. It's deliciously addictive!
Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Rollups Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Bites
- 8 ounces scallion or chive cream cheese
- 1 package smoked salmon
- 5-10 green olives
- 2 lemon slices (about ¼ inch thick)
- appetizer picks (to hold the bites together)
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and mix a little to soften it up.8 ounces scallion or chive cream cheese
- Cut the smoked salmon into strips, about 1 ½ to 2 inches wide.1 package smoked salmon
- Place a scant tablespoon of cream cheese towards one end of the strip.
- Roll the salmon up around the cream cheese.
- Cut a segment of the lemon from the lemon slice and place on the middle of the salmon roll.2 lemon slices
- Cover with half of a green olive.5-10 green olives
- Insert an appetizer pick through the green olive and lemon into the salmon to hold it all together.appetizer picks
- Repeat with remaining salmon and cream cheese.
- Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese is the perfect snack for a party. Keep them refrigerated until it's time to serve. (You can make these hours or even a whole day before serving.)
- Only use a small amount of cream cheese so your smoked salmon bites look neat and the filling doesn't come out the sides.
- Buy whipped cream cheese for easier handling.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in January 2014, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in November 2020.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!