Combine all of your breakfast favorites in this hot, cheesy bacon breakfast casserole! It's quick and easy and bakes up in 35 minutes, so you can serve it any day of the week.
Who loves Sunday brunch? Everyone, that's who!
You don't have to wait until Sunday to enjoy this breakfast, however. This casserole bakes up in 35 minutes, so you can serve it any day of the week. Just pop it in the oven when you get up and it will be ready by the time you are showered and dressed!
But who am I kidding? We actually like to have this for dinner. Would that be called brinner? Or dinfast? Or brupper? LOL. How about just calling it delicious?!
You really can't go wrong with bacon breakfast casserole. It is quick and easy and forgiving. You can put it together the night before, or right before cooking. Don't have hash browns? No problem, just skip them. Forgot to buy mushrooms? Go ahead without them! It will still taste awesome!
I am actually thinking about adding asparagus to this the next time I make it. Doesn't that sound like it would be good? I would try adding some chopped tomatoes as well, but that would make Thing 2 very, very sad. Poor Thing 2.
All we can do is hope that someday he will like tomatoes. (Sidebar - The kid does like pizza, however. Which has tomato sauce. He can't explain it, and I certainly can't explain it either. *shaking my head*.)
Tips for making this Bacon Breakfast Casserole
- It is not a requirement, but it helps if your bread is a little stale. It is easier to cut into cubes.
- You can buy bacon already cooked, but it costs A LOT. You can easily cook your bacon without standing over the stove getting splattered by spitting grease. Line up the bacon slices on a baking sheet with sides and bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the slices on paper towels to soak up remaining grease. Voila!
- You can substitute roughly chopped ham or cooked sausage for the bacon.
- You can use reduced-fat cheese and/or turkey bacon to lighten this up! Or use center cut bacon, since it is usually less fatty than regular.
Looking for a breakfast casserole without bacon? You might want to check out my amazing Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole!
Bacon Breakfast Casserole
Serve with fruit salad and coffee cake.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Bacon Breakfast Casserole
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces of bread (approximately 8 slices, cubed; stale bread works great)
- 1 pound bacon (cooked and chopped into bite sized pieces)
- ¾ cups button mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup hash browns (no need to thaw if you use frozen)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), unless you are making this the night before.
- Beat the eggs, milk, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.5 eggs, 1 ¾ cups milk, ¾ teaspoon pepper
- Place the cubes of bread in a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray.10 ounces of bread
- Layer ingredients on top in this order: bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, cheese.1 pound bacon, ¾ cups button mushrooms, 1 cup hash browns, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Pour egg mixture on top.
- If you are making this the night before, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Otherwise, let the dish stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes (a little longer if the dish was in the refrigerator overnight), until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted and browning.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Interested in other breakfast casseroles?
- Check out this baked fritatta, made with ham, Swiss, spinach, and mushrooms. It's a guaranteed hit!
- Here's a butterscotch french toast bake, for a sweet start to any morning!
- You will love this slow cooker cranberry apple french toast. Perfect for fall mornings but of course it's good any time of year as well!
Looking for egg-based recipes?
Thanks for stopping by. Before you go, you might be interested in these products!
And check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for some great kitchen products I love!