Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are so easy and delicious! Kids and adults alike will love these chocolatey, ooey-gooey bars. This no-bake recipe is super simple and will quickly become a favorite for any chocolate lover!
Homemade Rice Krispies treats taste so much better and are less expensive than the store-bought versions. Make these today for a yummy snack or a sweet ending to any meal!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
These chewy and chocolatey rice krispies treats are excellent as a quick snack or a sweet and satisfying dessert. Take the classic treat and add lots of chocolate ingredients to create a dessert that will satisfy even the most intense chocolate lovers!
You only need 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of cook and prep time to create these yummy dessert bars. Make these for a sweet after school snack, to serve after dinner, or as a homemade gift!
And if you love chocolate, try these Double Chocolate Crunch Cookies, which also feature crispy rice cereal!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- mini marshmallows - help bind the cereal together to form your treats.
- unsalted butter - ensures the marshmallows melt evenly and give your chocolate rice krispie treats a buttery flavor.
- chocolate chips - one of the sources of chocolate flavor in this dessert.
- cocoa powder - I like to use unsweetened cocoa powder; the marshmallows and chocolate chips provide plenty of sweetness.
- crispy rice cereal - makes up the base of your treats.
- chocolate sprinkles - for some visual interest and a little bit of extra chocolate flavor.
- Place butter and marshmallows in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir until the butter and marshmallows are both melted and combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until melted.
- Add cocoa powder.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Fold the crispy rice cereal into the marshmallow chocolate mixture until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer to a pan that's been sprayed with non stick spray.
- Top with chocolate sprinkles and press everything gently. Cover and lrt sit 4 hours to overnight.
If you heat the marshmallows and butter too hot, it can affect the texture and lead to hardness. For soft and chewy treats, be sure to heat low and slow. For chocolate rice krispie treats, this can also be the result of adding too many chocolate chips, as they will solidify when the mixture cools.
The marshmallows are the key ingredient for binding everything together. A trick is to heat them until just about melted, then remove from the heat and allow any residual temperature to finish melting them down.
This will lead to an overly sticky or soggy dessert, whereas not enough butter will cause them to be dry and crumbly.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- When mixing your ingredients, it can be helpful to grease the mixing utensil to prevent sticking.
- Don't add too many chocolate chips, this can lead to hard and tough treats.
- Once you begin the process, move quickly so the marshmallows stay melted and malleable.
- It's best to leave this to set overnight, but if that's not an option I would recommend giving them at least 4 hours (though they might be ready in as few as 2 hours in the right conditions).
- You can make these chocolate rice krispie treats in a 9x13 pan, but you'll want to double the ingredients unless you want much thinner treats.
- Gently press down on the sprinkles so they stick to the bars. You can also use a piece of parchment or wax paper to press everything down evenly.
📌 These chocolate rice krispie treats are perfect for handheld, individual treats that are sure to impress your family and friends! Easy to make and fun to eat, you'll love having these chocolatey treats in your arsenal.
📖 Substitutions and Variations
- If you want even more chocolate flavor, use a chocolate crispy rice cereal.
- You can also use other kinds of cereal to make these treats. Experiment with your favorites to see what happens!
- I prefer dark chocolate chips, but milk chocolate or semi-sweet also work. Even additional ingredients like peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips can change up the flavors.
- For extra pockets of marshmallow, mix some additional mini marshmallows into the cereal after things have cooled down a bit.
- Sprinkle the top with flaky salt for a pop of flavor contrast.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
These chocolate rice krispies treats can be stored covered or in an airtight container at room temperature. They should last up to a week.
You can also freeze them for up to a month, but they may get a bit hard and tough even after thawing.
💡 What To Serve With This Dish
Need to create a dessert platter? Looking for even more sweet recipes? Pair your chocolate rice krispies treats with 3 Ingredient Chocolate Raspberry Fudge, a batch of Easy Banana Cookies, some Easy Baked Chocolate Donuts with Glaze, or mouth-watering Maple Thumbprint Cookies.
Or, serve these alongside Fruity Pebbles Treats so that non-chocolate lovers also have a delicious dessert option to munch!
🍫 More Chocolate Recipes You'll Love
- Dark Chocolate Black Bean Brownies - These brownies are rich and fudgy and a little better for you than classic brownies, but just as tasty!
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate - Great to serve alongside your chocolate rice krispie treats, this hot chocolate recipe is great to have for the colder months.
- Matcha Cookies with White Chocolate - A lighter and unique take on a chocolate dessert, these cookies are bursting with refreshing green tea flavor.
Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare a 10x7 pan by spraying with non stick spray.
- Place the marshmallows and the butter into a large microwave-safe bowl.8 cups mini marshmallows, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir vigorously to fully melt the marshmallows and combine with the butter.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well until the are fully melted and combined.¼ cup chocolate chips
- Add the cocoa powder and mix well.¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Fold in the crispy rice cereal until they are fully coated.6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan, spread it out and press it down gently but firmly.
- Top with the sprinkles and press on them lightly. Cover with plastic and let sit at least 4 hours or overnight to set.chocolate sprinkles
- Don't add extra chocolate chips because it will make the treats way too hard and difficult to bite.
- Move quickly to be sure the marshmallows will stay warm and malleable.
- I used dark chocolate chips, but you can use whatever chocolate chip you prefer. The dark chocolate adds a richer flavor to the recipe.
- The treats do best when left overnight. However, if you need them sooner, definitely give them at least 2-4 hours to set.
- To use a 9x13 pan, double the amounts or the treats will turn out thinner.
- Gently pressing down on the sprinkles once you add them helps them to stick to the treats as they set so they won't all fall off when you serve them.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!