Today’s post is a special guest post from our dessert contributor, Thing 1! This recipe is a slight (slight…ha!) departure from my usual focus on healthy food, but Thing 1 was ADAMANT about frying these things in oil as opposed to baking them. I relented, realizing that there was really no way to make them healthy, whether baked or fried. But, there is room in this kitchen for occasional treats as well as healthy stuff, and I have to say that they sure were delicious! As Thing 1 notes below, you can certainly bake them if you would like to minimize the calories and fat!
Some of my fondest memories involve sitting out under a starry sky, telling stories with family and friends whose faces are illuminated by a crackling flame. The smell of the smoke and the warmth of the coals seem to bring a feeling of comfort. And what goes hand in hand with campfires? S’mores of course! About a week ago, I was craving s’mores, and I was in the mood to be creative! Those two things combined to bring about the birth of these delicious little pastries.
Besides the chocolate and marshmallow, the crunchy peanut butter adds an extra factor that traditional s’mores don’t have! The peanut butter and chocolate mingle with each other while the pastries are frying, and the marshmallows seem to hold the whole thing together! If you wanted to make them even more like s’mores, you could remove the peanut butter and replace it with crushed up graham crackers.
Frying the pastries is an unhealthy (but delicious) way to go about making these. If you want to be healthier when making them, you can try baking them instead, waiting until they’re fluffy and golden brown (350ºF is probably a good temperature, and they shouldn’t take too long to cook!)
Sprinkle some powdered sugar on these and serve ’em warm; that’s when they taste the best after all! When I first bit into one, I could almost smell the smoke and feel the warmth from the fire again (or was that the frying oil?), and these remind me of all the good times I’ve had with my loved ones around the campfire.
Peanut Butter S'more PastriesPrint Recipe
- 1 container puff pastry or sheet dough
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 1-2 chocolate bars
- 12 teaspoons chunky peanut butter
- powdered sugar and/or cocoa powder (optional)
- Roll out pastry and cut into 12 squares.
- Spread (scant) teaspoon of peanut butter on each square, avoiding the edges.
- Break chocolate into small chunks, add 1-2 chunks per square.
- Place 4-5 mini marshmallows in the peanut butter.
- Fold pastry in half, using a fork to press the edges together and make a rectangle.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Fry 3-6 pastries at a time, flipping after 2 minutes or when golden brown on bottom.
- Scoop out of pan with slotted spoon or spatula onto a paper towel covered surface.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!