These Funfetti Cupcakes with Oreos are the perfect way to take your funfetti box mix to the next level and get that homemade taste without all the work! With a chocolatey Oreo surprise in the center, these festive cupcakes with colorful sprinkles are perfect for birthdays, anniversaries, or any celebrations.
When you can't decide between cookies and cupcakes, these cupcakes with Oreos are the delicious middle ground!
👩🏻🍳 Why You'll Love This Recipe
Any fans of funfetti cupcakes will love this celebratory dessert! When you want a dessert that's pretty to look at and even tastier to eat, this recipe with funfetti cake mix is a simple way to create an elegant but fun and decadent treat.
These birthday cake Oreo cupcakes are three layers of dessert in one bite, and their bright colors and sweet flavors make any occasion a special one.
Just like these Cookie Cups with Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling, cupcakes with Oreos may look impressive but they are so easy to make. You'll wish it was your birthday every week!
🥘 Ingredients Needed
- funfetti cake mix - you can make cake mix from scratch if you like, but box mix is so much faster!
- eggs - use however many are called for with your box mix.
- oil - also used to make your boxed caked batter.
- chocolate chip cookie dough - creates one of the three layers of sweetness.
- Oreos - the birthday cake flavor is perfect for these funfetti cupcakes, but use whatever flavor is your favorite!
- vanilla frosting - storebought frosting is another shortcut for this recipe, but if you're a frosting stickler go ahead and make your favorite homemade frosting!
- Combine funfetti cake mix with oil, water, and eggs.
- Mix until well combined.
- Grease a muffin tin and press about a tablespoon of chocolate chip cookie dough into each section.
- Top with an Oreo.
- Scoop cake batter over top of the Oreo and cookie dough. It should cover the cookie completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-23 minutes, then cool for 15 minutes and frost with vanilla frosting. Top with sprinkles for extra color!
For the most part, funfetti is the same as a white vanilla cake. The rainbow sprinkles are the crucial difference between them.
Stuff your funfetti cupcakes with Oreos or chocolate chip cookie dough (or both!). To improve the batter, you can replace the suggested ingredients. Use milk instead of water, butter instead of oil, and an extra egg. Check out this post from Spoon University about hacking your funfetti cake mix.
Place your cupcakes in an airtight container and store either in the fridge or on your countertop in a cool and dry spot. Storing in the fridge may dry out your cupcakes faster, so it's typically better to store out at room temperature.
Vanilla or buttercream frosting is the classic pairing with funfetti, as additional rainbow sprinkles pop against the white. Something more decadent like chocolate buttercream or ganache would also pair deliciously with these funfetti cupcakes!
💭 Other Helpful Tips
- Because of the cookie dough and Oreos, you'll have enough batter to make 36 cupcakes. If you want to make just 24, you can pour the remaining batter into a loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Doctor up your store bought frosting by mixing in a teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt before spreading onto your cupcakes.
- Scrape along the edges of your tin after baking to ensure that your cupcakes emerge safely in one piece.
- Cupcake liners can also be used for easier removal and cleanup.
These colorful and festive funfetti cupcakes are the ideal treat for a birthday celebration, but serve them any day to make it special! If you're looking for a good recipe with funfetti cake mix that takes the store bought cake batter to the next level, these simple funfetti cupcakes are a great place to start.
- Birthday cake flavored Oreos are perfect for this funfetti cupcake recipe, but go ahead and use whatever kind is your favorite. Original Oreos are also a great way to go!
- For even more color, mix extra sprinkles into your batter before baking.
- Play around with the kind of frosting you use. Chocolate will pair well with the Oreos and chocolate chip cookie, or if you want something extra sweet, try a strawberry frosting.
🥗 Dishes for Birthday Dinner
Before you dig into these tasty birthday cake Oreo cupcakes, you'll want to have a delicious and healthy meal! Serve Shrimp Curry with Broccoli and Rice or these Oven Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs with Jalapeno Artichoke Topping for your main course and supplement with Cheddar Bacon Slow Cooker Bread or Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Carrots for a filling and satisfying meal!
🧁 More Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Raspberry Fudge - This 3-ingredient dessert is decadent, smooth, and fruity.
- Brownie Cakesicles - Great to celebrate special occasions or birthdays!
- Cookies and Cream No Churn Ice Cream - Simple but delicious, this ice cream only requires 4 ingredients and can be made easily in your own kitchen.
- Tiger Cupcakes - Tiger-themed cupcakes that are adorable on the outside and black and orange on the inside!
- Three-Rex Cake - Great idea for a 3rd birthday cake for dinosaur-loving kids! This easy tutorial will help you plan a special celebration your child won't soon forget1
If you love baking with Oreos, you'll want try this additional Oreo cupcake recipe, with homemade buttercream frosting!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
Love this recipe? Awesome! Please give it a 5 star ⭐ rating below! And if you make this, snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
📋 Recipe Card
Funfetti Cupcakes with Oreos
- 15.25 ounces funfetti cake mix (1 box)
- 3 eggs (or as many as directed on your cake mix box)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (or the amount as directed on your cake mix box)
- 18 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough (store-bought or make your favorite)
- 36 Oreos (birthday cake flavor or your favorite)
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting (store-bought or make your favorite)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Make cake mix as directed by combining the mix, eggs, oil and 1 ¼ cups water in a large bowl.15.25 ounces funfetti cake mix, 3 eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil
- Grease the bottoms and sides of each cup of a muffin pan. Press about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough into the bottom of each section.18 ounces chocolate chip cookie dough
- Place an Oreo on top of the cookie dough.36 Oreos
- Using cookie scoop or large spoon, scoop the cake batter and place on top. Batter should fully cover the Oreo (push batter into any cracks and crevices).
- Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool for at least 15 minutes. Use a toothpick or scraper to gently extract them from the muffin pan. Frost the tops and coat with sprinkles (if desired).sprinkles, 16 ounces vanilla frosting
- If you don't want to make all 36 cupcakes, you can make 24 (or fewer) and then pour the rest of the cake mix into a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- To make your frosting take less like store-bought, mix in about 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a generous pinch of salt before frosting your cupcakes.
- To more easily remove the cupcakes from the muffin tins, slide a scraper around the outside of each cupcake, using an up and down movement to reach down to the bottom of each cup.
- You can use cupcake liners if desired for easier removal and cleanup.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in August 2013, but was republished with tips, step by step photos, and a recipe change in February 2022.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
These are super cute and fun! Perfect for a birthday party! My kids loved them. The added oreo makes for an exciting surprise!