Hi there! Thing 1 here, coming to you with my first official blog post, all to myself! I'm sure my mom has told you much about me, so I'll keep my introduction short! My mom decided to make me her official dessert blogger; cooking and especially baking are some of my favorite things to do! Every so often, I'll try to think of a clever twist on a classic dessert and create a recipe. (I know my mom is into healthy food, but don't think that these desserts will be healthy!)
Everyone has had sugar cookies before. The sensation of a warm chewy cookie fresh out of the oven is an experience that can't be matched by any other! However, summer is coming, and it'll be hot enough outside! We've had some pretty hot days lately where we live. When I think hot, I think summer, and when I think of summer, I think of cool citrus flavors. So, I made sugar cookies with a summery twist; there's lemon AND orange extract in them! The icing on top is royal icing; a mixture of powdered sugar, egg white and a little bit of lemon juice that will harden when left to sit. That way your hard work will be preserved.
These cookies were delicious; they were soft and sweet with a perfect touch of citrus flavor and a delicious icing shell. The first bite instantly reminded me of summer! These cookies were so delicious and so easy to make. I highly suggest making these for your next summer party or barbecue!
Sunny Citrus Sugar CookiesPrint Recipe
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 eggs (just whites)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Food coloring
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In small bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder).
- In a larger bowl, combine butter and sugar with a mixer until smooth; beat in egg, vanilla, orange, lemon, and food coloring (if desired).
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets by rounded teaspoon.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transporting to wire racks.
- Sift sugar into a large bowl.
- Separate egg whites from yolks in a separate bowl.
- Combine sugar, lemon juice and egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed for about 5 minutes.
- Dye as many colors of icing as needed for decoration.
- Transfer icing into plastic bag for decorating.
- Pipe royal icing onto cool cookies.
- Make designs, patterns, etc.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for icing to harden.
Alright, that's my speech for this time! I hope you and your families enjoy these cookies and the end of spring. Bye now!