This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a lightened up and nutritional enhanced version of the classic dip. Thanks to a secret ingredient—cauliflower—this dip is much better for you than any version you’ve tried!
It’s so yummy that no guest will even realize they’re eating something nutritious! This creamy and cheesy dip is super easy to make and best served with veggies, crackers, pretzels, or tortilla chips.
💚 Why You'll Love This Recipe
If you enjoy this classic and bold appetizer but want a healthier version that still has just as much flavor, this recipe was made for you! Thanks to nutritious cauliflower and light ingredients, this is a better-for-you buffalo dip that still packs in all of your favorite flavors.
This dip is a great option to serve while watching the big game, at parties, get togethers, and more! Your guests won't even realize they're eating a lightened up version of the dip.
And if you're a fan of healthy dishes featuring buffalo flavor, make this satisfying Buffalo Chicken Cobb Salad as well!
🧂 Ingredients Needed
- cauliflower florets - using frozen cauliflower florets as the base for this healthier buffalo chicken dip ensures easy prep.
- shredded chicken - this is a great way to utilize leftover chicken, or otherwise you can easily shred up a rotisserie chicken or bake chicken breasts in the oven.
- light cream cheese - provides a creamy texture for less calories than regular cream cheese.
- light sour cream - adds a delicious tangy flavor.
- buffalo sauce - gives your dip that warm and spicy buffalo heat.
- mozzarella - I like to use part skim shredded cheese to keep things light for this dip.
- Cover the frozen cauliflower florets and microwave for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and transfer to a food processor.
- Blend or process until smooth.
- Move the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl and add the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, and mozzarella.
- Microwave the dip for about 2 minutes, then give it a good stir. Keep microwaving for another 2 minutes, pausing occasionally to stir, until cheese is melted.
- Taste your dip and add more buffalo sauce if desired.
There are so many yummy options to pair with this healthy buffalo chicken dip! To keep things on the lighter side, go with celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, or pieces of bell pepper. You could also serve your dip with tortilla chips, crackers, potato chips, or pieces of crusty bread.
Be sure to mix thoroughly, and ensure you give the dip enough time in the microwave for the cheese to fully melt and incorporate with the rest of the ingredients.
This can be the result of adding too much buffalo sauce, sour cream, or cream cheese. If this happens and you have extra shredded chicken on hand, simply fold it in bit by bit until the dip reaches a more desirable texture.
💭 Expert Tips and Tricks
- Your dip will be easier to mix with softened cream cheese. If you need to get it soft in a pinch, microwave for a minute or two at 50% power.
- If you don't have shredded chicken on hand, you can bake some chicken breasts or thighs, or purchase a rotisserie chicken and use a couple of forks to shred it up. In a pinch, you can also use canned chicken.
- Keep your dip in a slow cooker or crock pot set to low to keep it warm throughout an entire afternoon or evening.
📌 This healthier buffalo chicken dip is a nutritious version of your favorite appetizer without all of the calories! You won't even notice the healthy ingredients when they're covered up by the yummy and bold buffalo flavor.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Fresh cauliflower can be used in place of frozen. If you use fresh, add a couple tablespoons of water to the bowl before microwaving.
- Some other great garnish options include blue cheese crumbles, green onion, chives, or parsley. You can also drizzle with additional buffalo sauce or sour cream.
- Craving extra cheese? Use part mozzarella and part cheddar cheese or pepper jack for a slightly different cheese blend and additional flavor.
- More flavor can be achieved by including seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ranch dressing seasoning, or black pepper.
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for an even healthier version of this dip.
🥫 Storage and Reheating
Store your leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2-3 days. To reheat, simply pop back in the microwave and heat in 30-second bursts, stirring in between.
I don't recommend freezing this dip, as the textures and flavors won't be quite the same once defrosted.
🍴 What To Serve With This Dish
Pair this healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe with a whole host of other appetizers for a delicious snack platter! Serve alongside Buffalo Blue Cheese Potato Bites for even more buffalo flavor, or pair it with Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls or this tasty Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. If you want to go a sweeter route, you could whip up a batch of Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas!
✔️ More Dip Recipes You'll Love
- Creamy Chipotle Dip with Basil - This unique and exciting dip is the perfect companion to vegetables, fries, or Baked Eggplant Fries.
- Homemade Queso Dip - If you're a fan of sneaking cauliflower into your cooking, this yummy queso is a healthier version that also uses the yummy veggie as a base.
- Cream Cheese Fruit Dip - Looking for something on the sweeter side? Make this perfect companion to a fruit tray.
- Million Dollar Dip - This 5-ingredient recipe from Cocktails and Appetizers is so simple to put together and yields delicious and luxurious results every time!
Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
Love this recipe? Awesome! Snap a photo and tag me on Instagram. You can find me at DizzyBusyandHungry or #dizzybusyandhungry!
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
📋 Recipe Card
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 Food Processor
- 12 ounces frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup light sour cream (plus extra for drizzling on top, if desired)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce (plus extra for drizzling on top, if desired)
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Place the cauliflower florets in a covered microwaveable bowl (keep open slightly for steam to vent) and microwave 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender.12 ounces frozen cauliflower florets
- Drain the cauliflower and place in a food processor or blender and process until very smooth.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl, add the cauliflower paste, and mix well.2 cups shredded cooked chicken, 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened, ½ cup buffalo sauce, ½ cup light sour cream, 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Microwave 2 minutes, then stir. Microwave another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mozzarella cheese is melted. (Be careful as the bowl can get very hot).
- Taste and add more buffalo sauce if needed. Drizzle with extra sour cream or buffalo sauce for garnish when serving, if desired.
- Use fresh cauliflower florets, if desired. Follow the same directions but add about 2 tablespoons of water to the bowl prior to microwaving the florets.
- Other optional garnishes: blue cheese crumbles, chopped parsley, chopped chives, or chopped scallions.
- If you need to soften the cream cheese quickly, remove it from the packaging and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave it for 1 ½ to 2 minutes on 50% power.
Nutritional information is an estimate. The nutritional values for your final dish may vary based on measuring differences and products used.
Thanks so much for reading! I also invite you to follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, or INSTAGRAM to keep up with what's going on in my kitchen.
And you might want to check out my Dizzy Busy and Hungry store on Amazon for a whole bunch of great kitchen products I love!
Alison Saalbach Corey
This dip is a game-changer! This buffalo chicken dip is incredibly delicious, and the fact that it's healthy makes it even better! It's perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a tasty snack without sacrificing their health. I'm impressed by how easy this dip is to make. It's a great option for busy weeknights when I want something quick, healthy, and delicious.
Enjoyed this for an afternoon snack and it did not disappoint! Easy, tasty and healthy; loved every bite!
I really love this unique take on revamping a dip and making it a little healthier! Looks so delicious and comforting...it certainly won't last long in my house!
This dip sounds delicious! I would love to try it.
This Dip sounds healthy and nutritious. Love the combination of ingredients used to make the Dip. A must try recipe. Unique and delicious.